12VDC Power supply replacement not working. Am i an idiot?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
IMG_20240120_152513.jpg

I've a set of 12VDC LED lights which are powered by the plug in PS on the left. I don't want a plug in, i want a permanent PS so i got the PS in the box on the right.
The lights won't work with the new PS. Nothing. No lights, flicker, etc. I tested the output of the new PS and its 12VDC.

Is this constant voltage vs constant current thing?

Should i have got a 12VDC halogen light driver? (Constant current?)

What am i screwing up?

Comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I didn't think a led driver is the same as a transformer.

You need a 12v 2amp transformer

The wall wart isn't a transformer (although it will contain one inside). It is a 12V DC power supply. So is the white box.

Wrong polarity is the most likely issue as ETAF suggests.

The wall wart psu may plug into a control box for the LED lights though?
{Hint, more pics/info from OP is needed}

Or a wire inserted and clamped on its insulation rather than metal to metal?

Sponsored Links

You need a 12v 2amp transformer
Officially a driver is current controlled, however it seems anything DC today is called a driver, and the correct replacement has been got, both 12 volt both DC and both 2 amp so it should have worked OK. But polarity does matter so that seems most likely error.

Transformer is some this as the name suggests a device which transforms, so the one thing which maybe should not be called a transformer is the isolation transformer, as what goes in comes out and nothing is transformed, but we tend to think of a wire wound device where the ratio of input and output coils means it transforms the voltage as a transformer, and those devices are AC only and the frequency will not change, a switch mode power supply as used to allow front loading video recorders turns the AC to DC stores it in a capacitor then turns it into high frequency AC meaning the wire wound transformer can be a lot smaller, then it samples the output and changes the mark/space ratio of the unit making the high frequency AC to control the output to what is wanted.

The problem with this method is often there is a minimum as well as maximum output, this has caused problems with electronic transformers used for down lights etc. But in the main the units delivering DC volts are designed to work with no current output, the lighting ones with problems were in the main marked 20 - 105 VA or some thing similar so one is aware of the limitations.

Yes power supply is a better name to driver, transformer etc, but manufacturers call DC power supplies with fixed voltage drivers, so not much we as users can do, same as with MR16 compatible bulbs being called low voltage, we all know 12 volt is extra low voltage except for the Americans so it should say extra low voltage, but we are not as thick as the Americans and we can actually read the voltage.

@JohnW2

I thought that led drivers need to sense the led lights and deliver what's required Vs a transformer which doesn't to the same level. I have that original PSU on battery floodlight which I also use on my IMAX battery charger. I never thought I could use a led driver on any of those items?
Not my area tbh but I thought they were different things. Maybe faulty driver so test it's working.

I thought that led drivers need to sense the led lights and deliver what's required Vs a transformer which doesn't to the same level.
The terminology in this area is totally confused and confusing (and includes a good degree of ignorance on the part of some manufacturers), but the "LED driver" pictured says that it is a "Constant Voltage supply with an output of 12V 2A DC, which is the same as the original PSU.

Other things called LED Drivers" are constant current ones - and supply different voltages according the applied load.

Kind Regards, John

The terminology in this area is totally confused and confusing (and includes a good degree of ignorance on the part of some manufacturers), but the "LED driver" pictured says that it is a "Constant Voltage supply with an output of 12V 2A DC, which is the same as the original PSU.

Other things called LED Drivers" are constant current ones - and supply different voltages according the applied load.

Kind Regards, John
I agree with JohnW2.

A "Power Supply" is a Power Supply.

However, that is totally wrong in that it is actually an "Energy Supply" which supplies Energy at a certain "Rate of Power" - in Amps, milliamps or whatever..
If you have a "A set of 12VDC LED lights ", all that you need is a "Supply" which will provide 12 V at up to the current required by the Lamps concerned.
(UP TO 2 A, in this case.)

Update:

1st off, thanks for (all) the replies.
They gave me confidence that perhaps I'd fecked sumert up with the bell wiring rather than having a wrong PS.

Turns out, i had done exactly that. Wrong polarity on the connection to the new PS output.

Having corrected this, it now works.

Thanks so much.
Intriguing comments from @ericmark
Every day is a school day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back