13 amp / 2.9 KW Hob installation on a 13 amp plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a new hob to replace the one already installed and wanted to ask if its OK to run it off a 13 amp plug as my previous hob?
The new hob is a Zanussi ZES3921IBA
Burner Power Range is 1.2 to 1.7 KW and an Electrical Connection of 2.9 KW

The socket it under the hob, with a wire running from that socket to an orange isolation switch on back wall close to hob.
I'll attach a photo of whats in now below see what you recon?

Any advice much appreciated.

View media item 95517

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've just bought a new hob to replace the one already installed and wanted to ask if its OK to run it off a 13 amp plug as my previous hob?
The new hob is a Zanussi ZES3921IBA
Burner Power Range is 1.2 to 1.7 KW and an Electrical Connection of 2.9 KW

The socket it under the hob, with a wire running from that socket to an orange isolation switch on back wall close to hob.
I'll attach a photo of whats in now below see what you recon?

Any advice much appreciated.

View media item 95517

Did it come with a plug already on?

What do the manufacturer's fitting instructions say about your new hob?

AFAIK, your current set-up will rarely meet MIs.

At first look, not sure your current set-up is Regs compliant (is that T&E running down to the socket??)

However, one of the experts on here will better advise.

The answer to the question is yes.

However, there may be other considerations - can't think of any.

Sponsored Links
ImageExternal.aspx

2.9kW for a hob is unusually low. Is it a miniature hob, with only two rings, as used in caravans and bedsits?

Photo would be nice.
Just checked the manual and it is a two ring hob - MI's say connect with a 'suitable plug' - which could of course mean a 13Amp UK plug or a European version which I think is rated higher.

For the OP ring up the customer service of manufacturer and ask them.

Yep, as above - manual says suitable plug.

Can any of the experts on here tell me if the socket installation is compliant though please? (if that is cable running down to the socket is that permitted??)

Thanks

Can any of the experts on here tell me if the socket installation is compliant though please? (if that is cable running down to the socket is that permitted??)
Yes, it's fine as such.

That looks like a drawer above so can't tell where the cable goes.
Obviously it would not be advisable to have it running like that jammed behind the hob.

Thanks EFLI,

I only asked because I thought cables had to have some form of protection but I suppose this one is enclosed in a cabinet so it's okay.

Sorry to OP for getting off topic.

B

Just checked the manual and it is a two ring hob - MI's say connect with a 'suitable plug' - which could of course mean a 13Amp UK plug or a European version which I think is rated higher.
Doesn't 'suitable plug' simply mean 'suitable plug' - and, if so, have you thought of some way in which a 13A UK plug (with a 13A fuse) would not be 'suitable' for a 2.9kW load?

I'm not saying that I personally very much like the idea of any (suitable) cooking appliances connected by plugs/sockets - but that's a personal thing, and nothing to do with compliance (with regs of MIs).

Kind Regards, John

Doesn't 'suitable plug' simply mean 'suitable plug' - and, if so, have you thought of some way in which a 13A UK plug (with a 13A fuse) would not be 'suitable' for a 2.9kW load?
In which case they should have supplied the hob with a 'suitable plug' as per DTi guidance.

In which case they should have supplied the hob with a 'suitable plug' as per DTi guidance.
You may be right, although I'm not sure of the scope of the regulations and guidance - do they perhaps only relate to 'portable' items?

In practice, in the case of cooking appliances ≤3kW, I could see some sense in not supplying with a fitted plug (if that's allowed), since I'm sure I'm not the only one who would cut the plug off, hard-wire the appliance and send the plug to landfill!

Kind Regards, John

You may be right, although I'm not sure of the scope of the regulations and guidance - do they perhaps only relate to 'portable' items?

Here is a quote from the guidance:

Excluded from the regulations....

Any appliance which is intended to be permanently connected to the
fixed wiring of the mains system other than by means of a plug and
socket.

My reading of the MI specifically mentions the plug, IMHO, they should have provided one fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back