15 yr old vented system....NO vent pipe !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed to fit a new rad for friend with a rental property (at special price of course), wirings a bit taty but hell it all seems to work, landlords gas cert only 1 month old.....great,..... simple job.

Arrived with rad, fixed it to wall ect. ran pipe work back drilled 2 big holes, went to drain down.............no overflow & no vent pipe at expansion cistern (yes the system ain't got a vent pipe !) .

bugger
:evil:

tenant (DHSS) and her family not very happy at the idea of 24 hrs without hot water...............

:rolleyes: why is only the ones you don't check first turn out this way..........

Sponsored Links
What size was the feed pipe? If 22mm then it's probably OK -I think the boiler is still supposed to have a hi limit stat which it may not at that age. Unless of course it's a Servowarm. They seem to be a rule unto themselves. Quite often the boiler DOES have a HLS but they use a combined feed/vent in 15mm which is not OK.

You'll have seen their flower pot top up vessel?

Well yes, but I come across a lot of their "Elite" boilers still working after what, 30 years? Their plated steel pipe though.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
boiler is a glowowrm hide-away 40 open flue. Manufucturers config suggests a separate feed and vent, these boilers of course can serve a gravity DHW cylinder. Existing 15mm cold feed is fed into one of the tappings on the heat exchanger (one of the top ones which are recommended for flow).

on the other side of the heat exchanger the flow and return pipes (22mm) are placed as per m.i.'s.

I don't want to touch the boiler cos I am not corgi reg. my plan is to cap off the cold feed pipe above the heat exchanger using a manual air admittance valve. Divert the cold feed into the flow pipe, between a new 22mm vent pipe and the pump.

so boiler flow---vent----feed---pump.

What do you think (expect that I should ideally be corgi reg.)

no need for corgi,what you suggest should be ok you will find a lot of heating sys do not have a seperate vent ,and work perfectly.nowadays you just follow the mi just to cover your rearend because some pc pillock who has 8 days experience calls themselves heating engineer,how many people here know of gravity heating sys/solid fuel or cast iron heating pipework/threaded copper.experience counts for nothing nowadays,it is all about bits of paper or belonging to some trade body who take your money and stand there giving you the finger suckers[steps off soap box whilst avoiding aerial abuse :evil:

rant.gif

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back