152x152x51kg RSJ, Is there such a size???????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to embark on my own loft conversion but because of the minimal head height my architect has specified a 152x152x51kg RSJ for the ridge beam. I am having difficulty finding this beam as all the stockholders say the largest 152 beam is 37kg.

Does anyone have any idea whether this exists and where I can get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
I think your Architect has err'd. Even if there were such a size (I can't find it either) he needs to specify something you can get - (In the trade it's called "buildability")

Ask him to specify a stock section that can be fitted in the space and satisfies the loads.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I phoned Enfield Building Control and they have said they do exist but they are a new size and are probably hard to get hold of. They also said he was going overboard with the size as a 37kg would be fine. Its only spanning 5m. Lets face it, its a ridge beam for a dormer so there isn't that much weight going on it.

Thanks

It's a standard section from the Corus 'Advance' range. My question would be why so heavy though - and why not use a beam (rather than a column) which would be more efficient? Obviously there may be reasons but it does seem a heavy beam for a fairly lightweight application.

Sponsored Links
Ha! Architect, not an engineer, he's overspecced to cover his a**e!

(My Monopoly fiver says!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back