15A lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Domestic properties, 50 or so flats, all circa 1960's steel conduit throughout.

Rarther suprised to find old MEM CU's with 15A cartridge fuse's protecting the lights! I'm guessing this is bacause the circuit is wired in the old equivalent of 1.5mm2 and was designed in the days when people plugged all kinds of crazy junk into their pendants?

Anyone seen it before and is my guess as to why correct?

Sponsored Links
before my time, but domestic lighting fittings are usually rated at 10A max (some are 6A max) so I don't see it could ever have been correct.

Sponsored Links
isnt there something about the switch drops not needing to be rated as high as the circuit as all of the current doesnt flow down them. Just thinking aloud

I've been stripping out all the old switches, anchient MK grid switches. 5 AMP X is written on the back of them.

Not seen a 15A light switch before, no more than 10A in a domestic environment.

Seen 20A DP isolation switches lashed in from time to time.

MK grid plus modules are availible in 10A and 20A (and IIRC DP and intermediate modules are only availible in 20A)

Nobody likes a show-off.

As for the switches, surely they just need to be rated to switch the load they handle?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back