15mm copper pipes on heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My parents home has an extension around 10 years ago and the builder at the time used 15mm flow and return from the boiler to all new rads. I'm guessing that at some point it connects into the old pope work for the existing house.

The problem we have is whenever there is a breakdown
the plumbers tell us that the pipes are too small. Is there any substance in this?

Sponsored Links
Do the new rads all get hot?

If yes then the 15mm is adequate

Yes they all warm up but whenever there is an issue with the boiler, the pope work is always cited as a reason. For example, we are told that the circulation is poor, more susceptible to blockage, the boiler is having to work harder than it needs to, etc, etc

Sponsored Links
The flow and return from the boiler to the rads should be in 22mm, then you take off from this circuit in 15mm to each of the rads. But exactly where does the 15mm pipework for the extension link to the boiler. Essentially, TCC is correct, whilst the new circuit should have been done in 22mm, and then branch off in 15mm, if the new rads warm the extension up properly, then although it's not kosher, if it works, why worry.

There is a 15mm pipe coming out of the boiler and feeding al new rads. I would think that at some point this connects to the old pipe network which potentially follows the rule you state

Pic of this 15mm pipe where it connects to the boiler please.

Has it been teed into a 22mm pipe or is the 15mm feeding the whole system?

Will send through tomorrow when I go to my parents. Thanks

Exactly where does the 15mm pipe come out of the boiler. Is it connected on to a 22mm pipe by any chance. which goes to the original radiators

It's a halstead combo boiler and there is a short stub/coupler of 22mm coming out of the boiler and it then reduces to 15mm. The 15mm is then under the floor of the extension and I think it subsequently connects to the old pipes in what was the original house. If this is the case, there is around 8m of 15mm pipe from the boiler to the point where it potentially connects to the original house pipes

Reading between the lines, has the boiler been moved by any chance.

Yes they all warm up but whenever there is an issue with the boiler, the pope work is always cited as a reason. For example, we are told that the circulation is poor, more susceptible to blockage, the boiler is having to work harder than it needs to, etc, etc

FFS!! Is the Pope at the trade now??!! See these 6 week Mickey Mouse courses they're killing this trade!!

Depends on the size of system, Delta T & radiator size etc.....These things determine the tube sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back