15mm fitting won't fit (what is table Z)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, I have an outside tap with copper pipe running through the garage, a section of the 15mm pipe in the garage had been replaced with beer house (approx 6 inch) the last cold spell we had this failed and flooded the place. I thought it would be a simple fix with a flexible 15mm connector, however the 15mm pipe which stems from the ground will not fit into any 15mm fitting I have. I cut a couple of inches of the pipe away and went to my local plumb centre, I was told it was and old ‘Table Z pipe’ I think he said, and it was quite difficult to get parts for. The walls of the pipe do look a lot thicker than standard copper tubing. My question is, can I get a fitting to reduce this to standard 15mm (the adjoining pipe is 15mm standard)

Thanks group

Oh, the property is approx. 75yrs old...

Sponsored Links
As a diyer you may find a universal transition coupling is the easiest thing to use. Have a Google as there are various sizes and outlet sizes tend to be larger for joining to plastic water main pipe but you can get a 15-21mm x 15-21mm. No real plumbing skills required to fit them.

Quick update, managed to make the connection with the aid of a swaging tool, cost about £65 but I'm sure I'll get more use from it. Had a couple of failures initially (see photos) on cold pipe, found if pipe was heated and tool rotated that it helped, anyways fluxed, soldered & tested, happy chappy.
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.
Otto in a wet West Cumbria

20180119_163801.jpg
20180124_183940.jpg
20180119_160738.jpg
20180119_160856.jpg
20180119_163631.jpg

Sponsored Links
Quick update, managed to make the connection with the aid of a swaging tool, cost about £65 but I'm sure I'll get more use from it.
That's a good tool and an investment, offset against the cost of a plumber;)

For future reference, the straight pipe is supplied half-hard. If you heat the end red hot and quench it, it will anneal it and make it soft and pliable. You could literally squash it with your fingers. It will then strech more easily without cracking. It work hardens as you manipulate it, so you may need to anneal it again if you're bending it a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back