15mm JG pushfit pipe inserts needed??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, just getting the water supply in for new shower position. do i need the pipe inserts for JG pushfit connections? someone said about them to me today but it doesn't suggest you do need them on the packaging of the elbows i have?

thanks, i guess this will be a quick and easy question/answer... :)

Sponsored Links
i have used plastic pipe, i will go around and insert the inserts post-haste! don't want any leaks!!!

thanks for speedy response :)

*EDIT* - i like to learn as i go - are the inserts just to provide extra rigidity for the push fit to compress against?

They are used to reinforce the pipe and stop the joint blowing apart.If you have a flood you might be in a lot of bother with trying to make claims if you do not use inserts.

Sponsored Links
Be aware there are two types of JG inserts:

1. The "Superseal" which has two additional O rings to help seal. Only to be used with push fit fittings.
2. Ordinary inserts without additional O rings. To be used with compression fittings.

What is the difference between pushfit and compression? I got the superseal ones and i have used the push fit connectors. Thanks for help. Glad the superseal ones were the only ones i could find in wickes!

Pushfit, as the name implies, are fittings where you push the pipe into the fitting. The pipe is mechanically secured within the fitting by a toothed ring which grabs the pipe, and made water tight with an O ring seal.

Compression fittings have a chamfered edge to each screwed end of the fitting, and a nut which has a corresponding chamfer at the narrower, "pipe" end. A brass or copper ring, called and olive, fits between the two chamfers. When the nut is tightened it compresses the olive onto the pipe, and each chamfer seals against one side of the olive. Thus the pipe is secured mechanically and made water tight by the compression of the olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back