160mm clay collar to 110mm plastic

Sponsored Links
That will be 4" clay. in fact it looks like saltglaze and not clay

Look at the size of the hole and it will be about the same as the fitting

The UG 464 will be fine

You'll need some twine/rope whatever to pack the joints about an 1" then some nearly neat cement with a little sharp sand to finish it off.

Sponsored Links
You might find a good Builders Merchant would stock these, may also give you the benefit of being able to return it more easily in the rare event we're wrong! :LOL:

When the original drains were laid, a tarred rope would have been driven into the socket, to seal, then the joint made watertight with mortar, pointed at 45 ° backwards from the upstream pipe to the outside edge of the collar. Often the Sanitary Inspector would insist a ball was rolled through the run to check for fall and the joints had been made properly, and no mortar had been allowed to ooze inside the pipes!

Simply sit your plastic fitting into the socket, the shoulder on the bottom should fit snugly into the collar, then seal the joint with a strong mortar mix. (No need for a tarred rope here!) I would fit the new pipework and gulley first though and support as required to ensure no stress on the joint or the existing stoneware pipes before making the mortar joint.

Edit: I have never used rope when jointing these but could be used if required.

Thanks Hugh, that is useful information and helps put it into context. I'll go online probably as I'm never back home before the local merchants closes and I'd like to get it sorted soon.

Small update on this, the 464 adapter is slightly too big to fit into the collar. I'm planning to neatly file an even 10mm off it overall to make it a snug fit then mortar it in as planned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back