16mm t/e submain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just a quickie, if there is 100 amp three phase supply, which then supplies three flats via switch fuses. Can 16-mm t/e be used with an 80 amp switch fuse if wired in correct zones or is 63 the maximum allowed. i was led to believe that 63 was recommended

Sponsored Links
What is the current carrying capacity of the 16mm T&E as installed?
What is the voltage drop?

16mm² t+e = 85A clipped direct (ie ran on surface or buried under plaster)

You need to verify the above though in Sparks's post ^^^^

Might also need to be wary if you were planning on using the 6mmsq CPC within the T+E, as it could make things difficult if you want to run PEBs within the flats back to the local sub-DB rather than back to the MET located alongside the switchfuses.

Sponsored Links
Can 16-mm t/e be used with an 80 amp switch fuse if wired in correct zones or is 63 the maximum allowed. i was led to believe that 63 was recommended
How come if you're a competent electrician you can't look at p282 of the BRB?

Are these flats all electric then? ie no gas, storage rads, immersion heaters for hot water etc .....

Or they must be pretty big to require 80A per flat.

Yes these flats will be electric, they are small 1 bed but have electric oven,7kwshower and three 1kw wall mounted heaters. After diversity i have worked the max demand to be about 71 amps. The cable will be clipped direct. From my calcs i can see that 16-mm can take roughly 85-amps and many older properties have 16mm tails on 80 amp main fuse. Just seeing what peoples thoughts where on this matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back