16mm Tails feeding next door?

That may be very true but still known as VIR.
No argument about that - and it would surely make no sense to call them (tyres) VRI ("Vulcanised Rubber Insulated"), particularly given what I said about 'insulation'(or the lack of it), would it?

Cables are a different kettle of fish. The insulation is made of Vulcanised India Rubber, hence making the usual "VIR" very reasonable, but one could equally say that they are "Vulcanised Rubber Insulated" (i.e. "VRI"). The latter would therefore be a perfectly reasonable term (and abbreviation) - although I, for one, have never heard it being used in relation to cables/insulation.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
Sponsored Links
No argument about that - and it would surely make no sense to call them (tyres) VRI ("Vulcanised Rubber Insulated"), particularly given what I said about 'insulation'(or the lack of it), would it?

Cables are a different kettle of fish. The insulation is made of Vulcanised India Rubber, hence making the usual "VIR" very reasonable, but one could equally say that they are "Vulcanised Rubber Insulated" (i.e. "VRI"). The latter would therefore be a perfectly reasonable term (and abbreviation) - although I, for one, have never heard it being used in relation to cables/insulation.

Kind Regards, John
That all sounds very reasonable. No I'd never heard of VRI prior to being on this forum.
Additionally to me VIR was rubber only insulation whereas those shown with the woven sheath were called 'cotton and rubber' or 'rubber and cotton'

That all sounds very reasonable.
Indeed, it';s the same sort of 'abbreviated' (some might say 'sloppy!) terminology which we commonly use when we talk of "PVC cables" (i.e. mentioning only the material), when, strictly speaking, the expoicit term should be "PVC-insulated" (or, where appropriate, PVC-insulated-and sheathed") - i.e. we dot 'bother with the "I" of "VRI".
... Additionally to me VIR was rubber only insulation whereas those shown with the woven sheath were called 'cotton and rubber' or 'rubber and cotton'
Maybe - but, again, widespread 'common use' only described them as rubber.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Maybe - but, again, widespread 'common use' only described them as rubber.

The woven cotton over the top was waxed, to protect the more delicate rubber underneath. The rubber had a tendency to dry out and become very brittle, but only where the cotton had been cut back. A few inches back, where the rubber was protected by the waxed cotton, it would often be absolutely fine.

Apart from the VRI/VIR, which was normally protected by conduit, or wooden trunking in very old installations, there was a cable around the same time period called tough rubber and one called lead sheathed (rubber insulated). These were the predecessor of the modern twin and earth PVC, used for similar purposes.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
... there was a cable around the same time period called tough rubber and one called lead sheathed (rubber insulated). These were the predecessor of the modern twin and earth PVC, used for similar purposes.
Yep, there were quite a few ££ worth of lead in what I found lying around (out of service!) in my various roof spaces - and goodness knows how much more is still buried in my walls!

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
DNO guy arrived & looked at cables. Said they are OK for now, but need replacing, he also removed the 2 100a fuses, & fitted a 60 in mine & an 80 for next door. Said the cables are fine for the moment but have a tendency to crack when moved, so he is putting a request through (Not urgent) for next door to have a new feed of their own. Said the work is free, but when electric vehicles become popular they may (No doubt about it) make a charge for the work.

... Said the work is free, but when electric vehicles become popular they may (No doubt about it) make a charge for the work.
Interesting - that rather sounds like the opposite or what one would expect!

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back