17 shed sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 17 shed sockets that I don't really need. The wiring inside looks sound but the metal sockets are quite rusty. Screwfix sell metal sockets without the backbox so that would come to £60 to replace them all. Should I stop being tight and just do that?

Or maybe just replace a few sockets and then get some metal blanking plates like these?

https://www.superlecdirect.com/p-cl...O1E66qdei3ldgvVMmNuBJxjXrBCMPbccaAvQIEALw_wcB

Sponsored Links
It you don't need the sockets but want to keep the lights Id just isolate the consumer unit and remove the wires and terminate them appropriately or pull out of the box.
Might be worth doing the relevant tests on the lighting circuit and the sub main, perhaps get someone to do it for you. If the wiring is in harsh environments you don't know whether there are issues, and technically you should get wiring inspected and tested every 10 years at the most.

I have 17 shed sockets that I don't really need. The wiring inside looks sound but the metal sockets are quite rusty. Screwfix sell metal sockets without the backbox so that would come to £60 to replace them all. Should I stop being tight and just do that? ... Or maybe just replace a few sockets and then get some metal blanking plates like these?
It's really up to you, and what you want/need. You could replace all of the sockets with new ones or, assuming you need a few, as you suggest just replace the ones you need and put blank plates on the rest (with cables joined in some sort of connector block in the box).

Having said that, electrically speaking there is quite probably nothing wrong with the existing (rusty) sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It you don't need the sockets but want to keep the lights Id just isolate the consumer unit and remove the wires and terminate them appropriately or pull out of the box.

Sorry I meant to say I don't need them all. I do need a couple.

You could replace all of the sockets with new ones or, assuming you need a few, as you suggest just replace the ones you need and put blank plates on the rest (with cables joined in some sort of connector block in the box).

Yeah I think I'll do that for now.

An RCD would be a BGI.

I didn't notice that. Although, that little unit is downstream of the main consumer unit - which does have an RCD. Does that make it OK?

IMG_1076.JPG

It's the one labelled 'Power Workshop'.

that little unit is downstream of the main consumer unit - which does have an RCD. Does that make it OK?

View attachment 144398

It's the one labelled 'Power Workshop'.
OK.

Given the apparent skill/knowledge that went into using conduit, it didn't occur too me that whoever did that would have taken the supply off an MCB in the house CU...

Given the apparent skill/knowledge that went into using conduit, it didn't occur too me that whoever did that would have taken the supply off an MCB in the house CU...

There's 25m of conduit all very neatly routed through 3 'rooms'. The quality of the wiring and termination looks professional to me. They did a ring for the double sockets and a radial for the lights and one for the single sockets.

There is evidence of alteration with the supply though so it may have been bodged by someone else at a later date.

What about painting them with Kurust or something similar. You can never have too many sockets even if you don't want then at this moment in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back