178x102 inner or outer leaf?

I

iDIY

I’m not sure how to explain this but here goes :)

I am a few rows of block below full height on a building in the back garden. It will have a pent/flat roof and 2 sides and a back constructed in dense block with a 90mm cavity.

The 4th or Front face has 500mm relief walls at either side, continuing the 90mm cavity, the rest of that 4th will have a 5m long upvc door / window unit made and fitted. Because it is 5m wide and the roof timbers will be supported above the window I got a structural engineer to calculate the size of RSJ required and he came back with 178x102 19kg with a top timber plate bolted on to secure the roof joists.

All pretty straight forward..

However, I’m a bit unsure of if it should rest on the inner leaf or outer leaf of the relief walls at each end, as being 102 wide it’s one or the other. I know that ‘normally’ you would support roof joists on a plate bolted to the top of an inner leaf. But if I put the rsj on the inner leaf there is nothing to fix the top of the upvc unit to?

any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back