17th Edition consumer unit install when only a few circuits!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I looked at a job yesterday and would like to ask some advice on those that have already been installing 17th edition ccu's

the house only has hour circuits - cooker, sockets, lights and water heater

now from what it looks like here are my options either buy small blank board and rcbo each circuit to comply - which will work out expensive

or

buy a rediculously big pre made board of 10 to 12 ways with the split rcdx2 board etc that will comply and be more economical but over the top for his little cupboard!!!!!

previously with the 16th edition wylex do a 8 way board etc which would have been perfect but now i cant use that due to it not complying

are there any other other options?

Please advise

thanks

ps yes part p etc etc

Sponsored Links
You'll need to install a bigger board than 4 way anyhow: you need to allow room for expansion.

You could use your Wylex 8 way & fit RCBO's on the incomer side...

Sponsored Links
yeah i know secure its 25% so like comms said i could buy a blank contactum board and buy four rcbo's.

however could i not buy the wylex 8 way board which has a main switch and rcd plus mcbs. then out of the four circuits how many do i actually have to split?

could i not rcbo the lights before the rcd then have the other three circutis (cooker, sockets and water heater) on the rcd?

Don't Hager do a small-ish board with 2 separate RCD sections - i.e. the incomer feeds 2 independent RCD sections in parallel?

Alternatively you could adapt a traditional split board by cutting the end off the non-RCD busbar and adding an RCD adjacent to the switch.

yeah thats not a bad idea, so do i just use the non protected neutral bar as my added rcd neutral bar too?

plus with only four circuits how many do i actually have to split? can i not just rcbo the lights then rcd protect the other three circuits? or rcbo sockets and rcd the other three circuits?

You can use the non RCD neutral rail for the other RCD, however you will need to make sure your neutral feeds are connected correctly i.e. the feed to the rail is through the RCD and isn't feeding the other RCD.

Another idea, why not use an old type split load board, use RCBOs on the no RCD side?
How big are these premises, one lighting circuit isn't brilliant.

its a flat and ive only been asked to replace the ccu and put up a few new light fittings, it a bit of a nightmare and the client isnt flush so im not going to give myself the grief of splitting circuits

yeah that what i was saying, i have four circuits so according to regs how many do i have to spilt, can i have on the non rcd side just one rcbo for the lights or sockets then have the other three circuits on the rcd side?

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!

Just found a CCU form Contactum thats 8 way - 2 ways un protected by main switch i can use the socket in the cupboard for one of these as it will be dedicated and labelled

then 3ways on one rcd and 3 ways on another rcd so four other circuits split between those two - and whats even nicer is the price £43 ex vat

oh talking of the price i take it contactum is budget, as ive not used them before????????????

problem solved 2!!!!!!!!

protek do an 8 way 2 split rcd where 4 ways are on each so width is smaller then the contactum one, can choose MCBs all for 67 ex vat

so thats ok too, i also take it that protek is budget too???????

AnimatedPooSteamingCLR.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back