18mm engineered boards over joists c/c joists - sub-floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, and I've missed it, but I seek the wisdom of the forum ...

We've chosen an 18mm thick black walnut engineered board for flooring the ground floor of our house. This is described as 'structural' by the vendor and is comprised of a laquered 4mm wear layer over birch ply. I propose to lay this hidden nauled / screwed onto a suspended joisted wooden floor. The joists are on 450mm centres. There will be 100mm celotex or similar board insulation between the joists with a wet underfloor pipe network in the foil lined void above.

From my research thus far, it would suggest that 18mm boards shouldn't be used directly beyond 400 centres.

I am struggling to find the same finish / price in a 21or 22mm board and keen to keep the overall thickness down to help with the efficiency of the UFH.

Would it be viable to install this floor in conjunction with a thin ply under-deck to achieve the requisite structural stability ? Any guidance how thick would work ? Any underlay or measures recomended to aoid squeaks but not compromise the UFH ?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

If you have picked an 18mm walnut multiply, then it would probably be random in length.

The 18mm is seen as structural but the problem would be in the amount of fixing you will get as you will be laying straight to the joist. The floorboards that were originally there were probably ¾ or 18mm in depth. With ufh there would be more movement than in normal conditions so it would be advisable to try and get more fixings in each board.

Have you thought about laying a ply then floating the multiply flooring on top using a thin underlay? This means if you sand 2mm off the 4mm veneer the product with the ply should still be structural.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back