18th edition - where to bond gas supply pipe, if at all?

Yes, but we are not talking about that. ... It is wrapped in tape. I do not recollect the regulation stating that extraneous-c-ps must be main bonded - or wrapped in tape.
As I said, I think it depends upon one's view of the adequacy of the insulation provided by the tape. If one does feel that it is 'adequate' (i.e. that it renders the pipe not 'liable to introduce a potential'), then the pipe would not qualify as an extraneous-c-p - in which case the regs would obviously not require it to be main bonded.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your replies.

Update - within 24 hours of calling, SGN have promptly sent the contractor back and they have wrapped the exposed pipe in a plastic sleeve and the valve in a silicone type purpose made cover.

The only bit now exposed is the old elbow at the bottom of the floor void below the new sleeving. I think tape there would suffice as it is unlikely to be disturbed or touched.

Attachments

• 6B2C774F-458D-49E7-A615-392977604DFE.jpeg
    6B2C774F-458D-49E7-A615-392977604DFE.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 52AD2BC0-8F6A-452A-A056-FF501E94FDE3.jpeg
    52AD2BC0-8F6A-452A-A056-FF501E94FDE3.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 71
Thanks all for your replies.

Update - within 24 hours of calling, SGN have promptly sent the contractor back and they have wrapped the exposed pipe in a plastic sleeve and the valve in a silicone type purpose made cover.

The only bit now exposed is the old elbow at the bottom of the floor void below the new sleeving. I think tape there would suffice as it is unlikely to be disturbed or touched.
I believe the white sleeve is what they are supposed to fit in the first place.

I love the moulded cover.

it's a shame the SGN guys aren't trained in the electrical bit too,else they wouldn't have done this:
upload_2020-12-16_10-28-47.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Indeed. My first impression on seeing it was to wonder whether it was heat shrink.

Kind Regards, John
I understand that, 2nd looks it seems to be that it's 2 halves [which don't quite line up correctly] filled with something like glue or silicon and held in place by 3 cable ties.

Overall a much, much nicer solution than a rough ol' bit of black sticky tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back