18th Edition.

Sponsored Links
It is a legal requirement for an electrician to comply with all manner of non-electrical laws, you tit.

You seem to get terribly upset when you feel wronged on this forum, but it doesn't stop you trying to upset others by defaulting to insults when folk say stuff you don't agree with.

Are gas fitters, strictly speaking, actually 'allowed' to meddle with electrical installations?

Kind Regards, John
What I mean is that if it is a requirement of gas regulations then it is the job of the gas man to do it. Whether it is a requirement of the gas regulations is less clear as I do not have a copy of these.

Sponsored Links
What I mean is that if it is a requirement of gas regulations then it is the job of the gas man to do it.
I know what you meant, but I don't think it is necessarily true. It's far from impossible that the gas regulations (which neither of us have seen) require that any 'electrical work' required by the gas regulations is undertaken by "qualified electricians".

Kind Regards, John

That cannot be the case. Heating engineers do everything.
(Their, amongst others, registration was one of the original reasons for the CP schemes)

Even if it were, we could tell them it was neither necessary nor required.
I don't see how we could be compelled to do it.

You seem to get terribly upset when you feel wronged on this forum, but it doesn't stop you trying to upset others by defaulting to insults when folk say stuff you don't agree with.
Sorry, Secure - I was led to believe that that was an acceptable way to phrase posts.

He's a bit of a tit really.

Ironic, given that, that Risteard should have liked your post. I guess he must think there is one rule for him, and a different one for others.

Last edited:
What I mean is that if it is a requirement of gas regulations then it is the job of the gas man to do it. Whether it is a requirement of the gas regulations is less clear as I do not have a copy of these.
Indeed, none of us do.

But to confirm, your attitude is that even if it is a legal requirement, you don't care about that.

Does anybody know if that conflicts with any gas regulations?
Does anybody care what the gas pipe benders think?

So is it the view of electricians that even if via gas regulations, the law mandated it it, they would all refuse to do it even if asked because the Wiring Regulations do not mandate it?

Or have I misunderstood the position being expressed here:

It certainly isn't a legal requirement for an Electrician. If these gas plumbers are so adamant that it be done then they should do it. None of this alters the fact that I am superior to you in every way.
The person installing the gas pipes needs to do this if there is a requirement within the standards they are working to you imbecile.
What I mean is that if it is a requirement of gas regulations then it is the job of the gas man to do it.
That cannot be the case. Heating engineers do everything.
(Their, amongst others, registration was one of the original reasons for the CP schemes)

?

That cannot be the case. Heating engineers do everything. (Their, amongst others, registration was one of the original reasons for the CP schemes)
If they are registered as a 'competent person' to do (amongst other things) things to electrical installations, then presumably they must be in some way trained/'qualified' to do such work?
We could indeed.
I agree - unless it is the case (which I don't think it is) that BS7671 requires relevant gas regulations to be complied with - and, even then, only for those constrained (by 'schemes', insurers, employers or whoever) to comply fully with BS7671.

On the other hand, I suppose there are situations in which an electrician is 'required' to comply with, say, parts of the Building Regs which are nothing to do with anything electrical - so it's not a clear-cut situation.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I would say that it was definitely clear-cut in that just as an electrician may not ignore the requirements of Part A, for example, when cutting away at the structure, or Part B, etc, he may not ignore any other regulatory requirements which apply to his work.

We don't know whether there is a requirement in the gas regs, but to dismiss the possibility by saying "Does anybody care what the gas pipe benders think?" is utterly fatuous.

And if there is a requirement it is unacceptable for a professional electrician to refuse to comply with it because it's not a requirement in the Wiring Regulations.

So is it the view of electricians that even if via gas regulations, the law mandated it it, they would all refuse to do it even if asked because the Wiring Regulations do not mandate it?
This is purely hypothetical because if such a regulation actually existed I am sure someone would have found it by now.

In any case, is it likely that a gas regulation would state that "main bonding must be fitted (regardless)" or is it more likely that it would state something like "electrical requirements regarding protective equipotential bonding must be complied with" or "it must be ensured that protective equipotential bonding is satisfactory".

Or have I misunderstood the position being expressed here:
Is it often the case that electricians are legally compelled to do things which are unsafe and not an electrical requirement?

Scenario:
Gas company is installing a supply to a house, fit supply pipe, fit meter - do they comply with said law and ensure main bonding is in place before going home?
Heating engineer installs system and connects to meter - does he comply with said law and ensure main bonding is in place before going home?

Or an electrician may just ignore all regulations while he is at his work and be unprofessional despite being a so called professional electrician and get on with the job and get his/her payment when finished. :)

Yeehaaaar

He might well do that - but that is the opposite of an actual professional electrician being forced to do that which he knows is unwise.

Note that all along I've been talking about IF there is a reg.

I think it is egregiously wrong to say "who cares if there is", and if there is a conflict between two different sets of requirements but one has the force of law it is not for individual professionals to disregard the law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back