18v power drill charger repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ive a 18v cordless drill , got from lidl, has 2 batteries and has been good.
now the charger has died, there's nowt coming out it.

lidl guarantee is **** (it don't cover charger)

on the charger it says output 2a 18v the a continuous line with broken under it.

there's a laptop charger on ebay that has 18v 2a output but is a 7.5mm jack at end.

my question is,.
if i take the original charger apart and use the p.n wires and connect then to a female jack socket and plug this into the other charger, would it work ok?

on my old charger there's a earth as well , but this one doesn't have a earth as its a figure 8 power cable that plugs into it, does this matter .

i cant get a replacement charger for this unless i pay the same price as the drill, and i got 3 batteries for it

Sponsored Links
No, you can't just bodge it up with a cheap laptop charger. Buy a new one, or perform component-level repair (you will not succeed at this).

the Metal Oxide Field-Effect Transistor (Mosfet) is gubbed , its reading zero at the gate , and theres no markings on it to order a new one .

so other than get a new charger or fling different Mosfets in at it

so thought as both are same spec , that it would do tilll i get info on the components on the pcd

the Metal Oxide Field-Effect Transistor (Mosfet) is gubbed , its reading zero at the gate , and theres no markings on it to order a new one .

Raading zero what, referenced to what?

Is this actually a battery charger, or just a DC supply to another charging circuit?

A FET would have markings unless it's exploded.

Sponsored Links
its a battery charger for drill battery , parkside one. i was going to doctor the charger with the (i think) laptop charger of same rating .

the fet is just blank no markings at all m ive scraped the glure and desoldered it from pcb along wit the heat shield

its a battery charger for drill battery , parkside one. i was going to doctor the charger with the (i think) laptop charger of same rating .

And how do you think a laptop charger is going to help?

the fet is just blank no markings at all m ive scraped the glure and desoldered it from pcb along wit the heat shield

There's bound to be a marking somewhere.. And as before, the gate is reading zero what, in respect to what?

Photos?

its ment to read 5v , ive noticed a small crack on it and also a cap has burst .

cap i can get as it has markings .
well the laptop charger will be outputing same voltage 18v 2amps to the charger terminals , so sitting charger on thoes terminals should get start the charging process of the battery .

why shouldnt it work if using the same input output, on both items

its ment to read 5v , ive noticed a small crack on it and also a cap has burst .

Under what conditions should there be 5V on the gate? And why do you think the gate is producing that?

There will be a marking on the FET. Look harder, get a light source and move it around. If someone has told you it's a FET, they must know what it is, which means it's marked!

well the laptop charger will be outputing same voltage 18v 2amps to the charger terminals , so sitting charger on thoes terminals should get start the charging process of the battery .

why shouldnt it work if using the same input output, on both items

Because that's not how battery chargers work, I suggest some extensive reading..

These may be a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NiCd#Charging
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel–metal_hydride_battery#Charging
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion#Charge_and_discharge

hi ive a 18v cordless drill , got from lidl, has 2 batteries and has been good.
now the charger has died, there's nowt coming out it.

lidl guarantee is s**t (it don't cover charger)

First, how long have you had it? The Lidl guarantee is in addition to your statuary rights under the Sale of Goods Act which gives protection (not guarantee) for 6 years (5 in Scotland). Also EU rules give a 2 year guarantee against the retailer. They can't say the charger is not covered.

I know a bit about the sale of goods act, and only the battery is not warranted as they are consumable but then they must be warranted against manufacturing defects.

I personally wouldn't bother spending too much time trying to bodge a repair to what is a cheap drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back