1930s Semi landing held up by doorframe?!

Thanks, on the picture below the post sandwiched between the main post (with the notch taken out) and the shorter one above the door frame is the newel post on the landing. Thanks for all your help :D

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_200811.jpg
    IMG_20180217_200811.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
Evening all,

Above both door frames are fully stripped out now. When the guy came to do the load survey for the beam between the kitchen and the lounge he said he thought that this door frame could "probably come out" as well as the one under the stairs but he didn't really investigate too much, as we're only really paying him for the drawings and survey for the beam, I wasn't really expecting him to. I've attached a picture of the frame over the kitchen door that was hidden with lath and plaster. I've also looked from above under the upstairs floor boards to identify if it might be structural...honestly I'm non the wiser, my thoughts are that as the centre of the door frame has sagged overtime which makes me think that it is taking a bit of pressure, and it's almost (but not quite) directly under where the joists change direction upstairs. The studwork above the frame does not go into the brick. I've annotated the image with what I've found, any advice would be great...again.

Cheers,
Ed

Attachments

• Annotated Door Frame.jpg
    Annotated Door Frame.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 260
I know this thread was a while back. I'm facing a very similar question with my house. Layout is pretty much identical to yours. It seems no matter how much we reveal of the structure, no one seems to be able to say which parts are supporting and especially how the landing is supported by the old door wall, if at all. What was the outcome on your work? Clive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back