195 joists into/onto 178 rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
we are knocking through from old kitchen to extension soon.
I have had calcs done and they spec a 178x102x19 RSJ
I want it to sit high enough so the ceiling is flush from old to new.
I cant quite decided or figure out the best/optimum way to attach the new joists.
Do I bolt a timber to sit in the RSJ then hangers onto that timber knowing the the hangers wont over-lap the timber? and I just noggin off the top 17mm of the joist to sit against the existing wall?
Or do I pre measure hangers, fit to wood and wrap over the wood, then bolt that plate to the rsj but again the top 17mm of new joist will be floating free?

How about a plate welded to the bottom of the RSJ so the timbers sit on that?

Thank you for advice in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Usual detail is timber packed into the web (bolted through) then use face fix hangers. If you're only doing a handful then the extra cost for face fix hangers is negligible compared to wrap over. No need to put a timber top plate on then.

Face fix hangers are thicker steel and have an optional bolt/coach screw hole.

If you've got a whole house to do then it'd be worth using wrap over and do the premeasure method.

Whatever you do, ensure the top of the timber joist is a min. 10mm above the top of the steel to allow for shrinkage of the timber.

Thanks George
There will be approx 10 joists I think going onto this steel.
The wrapping of the hanger I was going to wrap over the top of the wood packed into the steel, not a wood plate on top.

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell, that was quick - 4 minutes!. I just stuck my joists into the web, with noggins to stop them going anywhere, tops and bottoms notched a little bit to get everything level.

Bloody hell, that was quick - 4 minutes!. I just stuck my joists into the web, with noggins to stop them going anywhere, tops and bottoms notched a little bit to get everything level.
Did that pass with BC?

Either joist hangers or just notch the top of the joists and sit them onto the bottom flange of the beam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back