1950 wimpey no fines internal render big cracks,help neded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Wondering if anyone can help how to fix permamently internal render cracks in wimpey house before plastering?

Attachments

• 20151206_091646.jpg
    20151206_091646.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 727
  • 20151206_091831.jpg
    20151206_091831.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,813
Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same cracks to three upstairs windows in my 1960's house. It's not a 'no fines' construction but the cracks in the internal walls look identical [I believe your internal walls will be blockwork also]. Those around the window appeared in the summer because of expansion caused by the sun. One side of the crack was warm, the other cool. Every year I repaired them, every year they returned. In the end I removed an inch of plaster each side of the entire crack along its length, and enough to allow the insertion of some of these, placed at right angles to the crack approximately 30cm apart, with the end holes screwed in to sound parts of the wall to tie the two sides together. Finally I wet the area thoroughly, before making the repair with a flexible filler, the sort out of a tub, something like this. The first repair done this way was over 10 years ago and there has not been so much as a hairline crack since. I only had one corner with the problem. I used the same method but with a corner brace.

Last edited:
Interesting solution.Internal walls build from breeze block`s external from 18inch no fines concrete with internal and external render go up to 23inch`s,so is up 2,5inch each side.No fines concrete its falling apart with no render like popcorn.Don`t have idea how to bond the no fines wall with breeze block...Thanks for advice

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back