1950's basic and bath taps dripping..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks my mum has just moved house, and in the bathroom is a 1950's, deco style bath suit, taps are seperate to spouts with no tap body visible (I think!).
The taps are currently dripping so she called a plumber and has been told they cannot be repaired, they need to be replaced. Seems a shame as you would never get anything like these to replace them...
so I want to know if there might be a good reason he cannot repair the taps?
PS I would post a picture but they are over 100 miles away atm and I am not going until april!
Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Because it's a pain in the ass to get them out in one piece without damaging them or the bathtub and then it may not be straightforward to reliably fix them.

@OwainDIYer unfortunately not as they are tech illiterate but I have asked them to snap a piccy of the taps and bring the camera this week so fingers crossed...

I feel I am quite confident doing this myself but perhaps only with the guidance from what I know are knowledgeable and helpful folks here so any tips will be appreciated!!! :)

Sponsored Links
I'd guess the washers need replacing. I'd bet this has been done at least once since 1950! Therefore there must be a way to do it. Get a better plumber...

On taps of this age, it may be that the seat where the washer goes onto needs re-cutting. Examine closely with a small torch for pitting, etc.. I have done this on a pair of old bath taps, worked OK.

told they cannot be repaired, they need to be replaced. Seems a shame as you would never get anything like these to replace them...
Thanks..
You would - I refurbished and sold a set on eBay - then someone sold the same ones on again @ more profit :LOL: Who you got was a Gas Safe fitter, not a plumber :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back