1970's brick fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate ideas on how to upgrade old brick fireplace please. Removal of the fireplace is not possible I am afraid.

If anyone has covered by painting, plastering or any other method - were you happy with the results?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Bit of an awkward one in some respects . Some may see a wonderful period fireplace needlessly damaged for the sake of fashion while others see just a pile of ugly bricks.
Personally I'm never fond go painting brickwork , if it's ugly it will just be ugly in a different colour , and if it's decent it'd be an absolute pain to remove should someone want to in the future. The same thing applies to plaster albeit to a lesser degree.
Another option and one I've done myself , although not to a fireplace , is to fix grounds or batterns to the brickwork taking care to fix only to the joints not the bricks themselves and then to board that with plasterboard , mdf , or even that cement based board ( aquaboard? ) then finish as desired , plaster , paint , timber or tiles.

Hello, I am grateful for your reply. You are right, the fireplace is ugly, and may still be ugly whatever I do. Thank you for the tip with regard to batterns and then covering the bricks.

Will think seriously about what to do.

Thanks again

I did the same kind of thing that ladylola did with my sister's 70's stone fireplace. I battened it all out horizontally screwed into the mortar joints and over-boarded with woodgrain effect MDF panelling and painted it all a very pale cream colour. The transformation was amazing but at the time I was concerned that the heat from the gas fire may be a fire hazard. That was about 10 years ago and, I'm happy to say, there has never been even the slightest discoloration to the paint, never mind any fire damage!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your message. I have looked at the mdf you mention on line. I can see how nice it would look. I am grateful for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back