1970's building methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a 1970's bungalow. All the internal walls are single brick or breezeblock. However when hitting things into the wall, picture hooks etc, I noticed they do shake rather worringly.

Whilst replacing some bathroom floorboards I noticed that the sub floor is constructed from single thickness brick walls with joists and floorboards.

The internal brick walls are then built on top of the floorboards and so effectively have no real fixing other than a bed of morter on top of the floorboards. The internal walls do not line up with walls below the floor and therefore the full weight of the walls are taken by the floorboards.

Hardly surprising that the walls appear to shake!

Was this common building practice in the 70's and are my walls safe. I feel that if I pushed hard enough I could push them over!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back