Internal wall removal - buttressing?

J

jon4727

I want to remove a ground floor internal wall constructed of brick. This wall does not appear to be supporting anything on top. I have lifted floorboards to check, and I can see the top of the bricks all the way along.

Do I need to worry about whether this wall is providing support to the adjoining walls (the chimney breast and an exterior wall)? I'm not sure whether this is a 'technical' question or whether it is usually OK to leave say 1 foot at either end. Do I need to use a structural engineer to assess this or get Building Regulations permission? Everything I have found online seems to be concerned with whether an internal wall is supporting anything from underneath.

Sponsored Links
If there's a chimney breast it would be a buttress in itself, so you wouldn't need more. It would only be if the external wall was unusually long with no other returns on it.

The external wall is around 5.5 m long, it is the 'end of terrace' exterior wall of the semi-detached property and contains the front door opening. It has no other adjoining internal walls (returns?).

What I have noticed, after removing some plaster, is that at some point in the past exterior wall and internal wall have shifted a few mm relative to each other, as if the exterior wall has settled. So it may be questionable whether there is very much effective buttressing going on anyway. I will try to show this with a sketch (attached).

Attachments

• w.png
    w.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
Do I need to worry about whether this wall is providing support to the adjoining walls
whether it is usually OK to leave say 1 foot at either end.
Do I need to use a structural engineer to assess this
or get Building Regulations permission?

No
No
No
Maybe, if it affects fire safety and means of escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back