Convert single brick garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to convert my single brick garage into office space and have some questions regarding the insulation and building of the internal walls.

the size of the building is 5m x 6m constructed of single brick with double brick columns in the centre position of all four walls.

My main question is can battens be attached directly to the single brick wall with a waterproof membrane between and sheet insulation installed between. The battens would be on top of two courses of brickwork with a dpc.

Sponsored Links
If you fix battens directly to the wall through your waterproof membrane would you not be then puncturing your waterproof membrane?
I would go for a well vented cavity rather than go the tanked option. I did once fix onto a tanked wall (architects detail) but just seemed a poor detail.

Just fix thermal plasterboard direct to the brickwork - no need for battens. If you decide to batten anyway don't put a plastic membrane on the cold side - it will create a condensation issue. Membranes must always be on the warm side.

Sponsored Links
Have you also considered the floor and roof regards insulation etc?

If you are going to heat this space and spend a lot of time in there then you would be wise to think carefully about the whole job.

Are you seeking B.C. approval?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back