Insulating garage walls (single brick)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small garage (5m x 3m) which I am planing to convert into habitable space. It has a concrete floor with plastic sheet underneath and two single brick walls - no cavity at all. I need to insulate the single brick walls. Struggling to understand the exact steps of keeping the heat in without damp being a problem please.

From different posts here and there, the steps seems pretty straightforward.
  • Membrane (plastic sheet from floor to half the wall)
  • Screw the treated 2x1 battens on at 400mm or 600mm
  • Pack in between with Jablite (50 or 75mm premium)
  • Over board with 25 or 35mm Thermal Laminate Board (p'board with polyurethane foam bonded on it)
  • Skim Plastering
Today a builder came to check and provide me quote. According to him the steps should be as below which I am bit doubtful:
  • Membrane (plastic sheet from floor to half the wall), then insulation blocks (50mm)
  • Timber goes on the top of the insulated blocks to stop any cold or hot air from the gaps. (Insulated block are not packed in the framework like the steps above). Is he right?
  • Platerboard and Skim Plastering
Please help and guide.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back