1970's ugly brick fireplace suggestions please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster after lots of visits! I was hoping the experts among you could help me out on deciding what to do with this old brick fireplace, It looking kind of tired and it makes the whole room look gloomy as it takes up most of the wall!

Shall I paint it out to match the surrounding walls? will that look naff? is it a pain to do?

Shall I try to knock down the left hand side that sort of sticks out? but im no builder?

Or Shall I leave it alone and just work with it?

painting it out is a big gamble as once its painted theres no return!

Any comments and suggestions are welcome! thanks in advance guys!

View media item 68778

View media item 68779

Sponsored Links
Get rid of it. No other option makes any sense.

I assume it's just cosmetic brick, but do your neighbours have anything similar? i.e. was it built with the house, or an afterthought?

Sponsored Links
I know that next doors fire place is in same position ie back to back to mine, but not built up to ceiling like this one.

If you don't want to set to with a sledgehammer, you could cover it with MDF and paint it, that would be less disruptive and reversible if you didn't like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back