1999 Fiesta - Gear Stick With No 'Spring'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 1999 model which has developed a problem with the gear-stick.

Basically when the cars in neutral and you move the gear stick left/right it doesn't 'spring' back to the middle. It drives fine but can be a little difficult making a 2nd to 3rd gear change as you have to emphasise moving the stick across and then up.

Anyone know what might be wrong and what the likely cost of repair would be at the garage? Considering it drives fine would there be any problem leaving it as is?

Thanks,

33jayc

Sponsored Links
sounds like the gear selector is worn, should be fine for now

Disagree... :D

Common fault on the Zetec Fords.

Gear stick selector spring broken, circa 0.90p from dealer 20min job to sort. All you need is Screwdriver and Grease. Ford will charge you circa £140 to replace

Lift up gaitor, undo screws to get into Ball and Socket.

Detach selector rod

Replace Spring, ensuring fitted right way round

Attach selector rod

Screw back up

touch of grease

Job done.

That sounds like good news, and gives me a job for the Bank Holiday weekend!

Thanks luke_vibert_uk.

Sponsored Links
Interesting posts above -

As my father just told me that his 1999 Fiesta has recently started doing the same - i.e. the gear lever has lost it springiness, mainly on one side (I assume there must be 2 springs to centre the gear stick) - still totally driveable, but he has to be a bit careful in guiding the gearchange from 2nd to 3rd.

He went to his local Ford (Main) Dealer and explained the problem - he was told they had to drop the gearbox - split the gearbox and then was told that Ford recommend replacing the drive shafts.....................hmmmmmmm!!

Parts £106 - 5 hours labour - total cost circa £630..................

My father was flabbergasted and told them it was ridiculous to be asked over £600 to replace a simple spring which only costs a couple of pounds and asked me to look and see if this had been reported elsewhere and I found this thread.

Is the simple solution posted above really true - i.e. its a 20 minute job ?

- the answer given by my fathers local Ford Dealer smacks of job creation.

Back