Gears crashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I put my ford fiesta finesse 1.25 from neutral into reverse the gears crash. Its almost as if something is obstructing you from pulling the gearstick down to reverse. All other gear changes are fine and this only seems to happen to me when the car has been standing for a while eg overnight. Is this is a serious problem and what could be causing it? Obviously its not stopping me from driving it but it causes much embarrassment and micky-taking from other drivers who hear me doing it.

Sponsored Links
When attempting to select reverse, if you feel any resistance against selection, try re-selecting neutral, then raise clutch momentarily, then attempt to engage reverse again.

Just a thought, as raising the clutch will realign the gear wheels & avoid the crunching.

ok! when you first start the car and select reverse i presume this is when u get the crunch, this happens alot it happens to mine (astra sporthatch) believe it or not the manual to my car states: if you are selecting reverse gear from initially starting the engine it is recommended that you wait 30 seconds before selecting the gear) so what i do is press clutch push stick slightyly forward into reverse position, ( could be backwards on fords) and when the cars ready to accept it , it slots in lovely.

to recap if i start my car in the morning and put it in reverse straight away = CRRRRUUUUNCH!!!!!

now: i start car slowly push stick into reverse and put very light pressure on stick until it slots in on its own.

this is quite confusing i know but if u want more info just ask.

hth

The methods on starting are dependent on whether the starter is operated with the clutch engaged or disengaged, as starting with clutch engaged will rotate gearbox & disengaged will not.

Personally, I always disengage, to relieve strain on starter motor. (especially when cold).

So if there is resistance to engage reverse, a quick raise of clutch normally sorts the issue.

Sponsored Links
it can be caused by worn clutch, slack cable or soggy hydraulics on the clutch mechanism. on some cards (early BL marina and triumphs) the pin holding the actuator arm in place gets worn and causes the same loss of efficiency.

most reverse gears are on a seperate idler shaft and sit above the gear oil. they rely on splashed oil from the main gear cluster to lubricate them. the 30 second time period gives time for the oil to be thrown around a bit and loosen up any stickiness from overnight standing.

alternatively, try putting it in reverse and then starting it with the clutch depressed if you want to save 28 seconds.

if mine won't go in first time I put it into 1st, bring it to biting point and then retry reverse. works 99% of the time. sometimes takes 2-3 goes though.

Boombraker said:
When I put my ford fiesta finesse 1.25 from neutral into reverse the gears crash. Its almost as if something is obstructing you from pulling the gearstick down to reverse. All other gear changes are fine and this only seems to happen to me when the car has been standing for a while eg overnight. Is this is a serious problem and what could be causing it? Obviously its not stopping me from driving it but it causes much embarrassment and micky-taking from other drivers who hear me doing it.

could be thrust bearing, do you get juddered take of from standing still to setting off. overnight standing could be allowing damaged or worn thrust bearing to settle and seize.

Back