1mm joint with flexi grout cracking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in a bit of a hole and need some expert advice.
I am in no way a tiling newbie, I have tiled walls and floors on building projects for a good 10 years but it seems I've missed something.
I have tiled on timber floors with flexi adhesive, and flexi grout. Sometimes with fairly cheap products and not had this issue.

The job in question is a kitchen floor approx 3 x 3m
Originally we plyed the floor, tiled and grouted and the grout cracked fast.
The floor had too much flex in it which I should have noticed and rectified beforehand.
When I pulled up the floor I found that some of the supports had been knocked out by a mains cable which had. Een pushed through at some point.
I added more supports to the floating floor, a tonne of new noggins, and replaced the boards and ply with 22mm moistyres resistant t&g boards.
Re tiled on Mapei flexi adhesive and Mapei flexi grout.

I must also add that after rectifying the floor it felt not far off a concrete equivalent, jumping up and down on it with no movement.

The grout cracked out again everywhere.

I'm worried that the problem is with the 1mm joint size or the tiles, they are a polished porcelain, very square edge.

I see there are recommendations for 3mm or above on floors but I have not had a problem before, maybe I have just been lucky.

As I'm sure u can imagine I really don't want to pull it all up again!

What's everyone's opinion? Will one of these 2 part flexi grouts work?
Is this to do with the joint size? I honestly think there is very little movement, if another grout will sort it out what's your recomendations?

Hope someone can help me here, I'm very willing to learn and improve my skills/knowledge

To make things worse I need to give my customer an explanation of what I plan to do asap

Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back