1st and 2nd fix plumbing expectations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have completed a major extention job and the contractor begun splitting hairs over 2nd fix matters and charging a-la carte for various things reasonably expected that he has neither clarified in the quote nor added as "excluded".

My question is, what do you expect from first fix plumbing? e.g should hot/cold service pipework terminate to adapters ready for 2nd fix? waste pipes cut to length and ready to fix sink adapters on?

The kitchen was 3rd party dry fit which was clear from the start. They want to charge extra to 2nd fix the tap and sink waste, after lots of included plumbing and even temporary sink fix. I decided it would be easier to hook things up myself. But the service pipework is not delivered in the right place or plumbed with adapters/fixings to connect to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! This is helpful, although I am not suggested that a 1st fix "only" has been put on the contract.

What would be your expectation on the above job hypothetically, if the work already includes all electrics, central heating, bathroom plumbing 1st/2nd fix, outdoor tap, temp sink/WM/DW (re-)connected at new points, mains stopcock connected and supplies to all service cold/hot pipework terminating on isolating valves etc

Just curious how people's expectations work when contractors come up with "extras"

All the pipework including waste pipes should be in the right place with isolators fitted (so the pipework can be tested) and the waste pipes tested as well, things like shower valves should be in place and under pressure, second fix is simply connecting everything up, fitting shower screens, sinks and basins ect, your builder sounds like a typical builder.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back