1st floor extension over utility room & garage - ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been planning the layout of extending our 3 bed detached to 5 and adding an en-suite for a while now, but wanted to gauge peoples thoughts and ideas!

We haven't committed to appointing and architect yet so we are in the early stages of thinking what we want where.

I have attached the original floor plan and the rough drawing I have made up.

I'm not sure whether to leave the bathroom (currently at the front of the house) where it is or to move it to bedroom 3 or 4 giving us more space and using the room as a small office.

Another issue is that with the new en-suite at the other end of the house we will have to put in another soil stack - which i guess isn't cheap. The current soil stack runs internally down through the garage from where the toilet is currently located.

Ideas very welcome!

thanks!

Attachments

• First Floor.png
    First Floor.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 183
  • First Floor with extension built v3.jpg
    First Floor with extension built v3.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 215
Sponsored Links
Why relocate a bathroom for the sake of it? Build an office into the new part if there's room. Have you considered if the existing ground floor will lend itself to being built on? Also consider that planning often expect a setback for side extensions of maybe a metre or thereabouts, eating into that space. You don't need an architect either look for an architectural technician.

Thanks for the reply!

One of the main reasons I wanted to relocate the bathroom was because I didn't want the soil stack at the front of the house, but maybe it could be routed into the garage without going external?

Regarding setting the extension back, a few houses already have done what we want to do and they are of a similar style so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

Im not sure if the ground floor will be suitable to be built on so I plan to dig a test hole on the corner of the utility room to see how deep the foundations go.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would take off the old outer leaf of brickwork to give you an extra 5" of bedroom width. Say 4" brick + 2" cavity - 1" dot and dab plasterboard.

As you go up the stairs, remove the old loo wall and put a balustrade there.

I would be inclined to leave the bathroom where it is.

Just need to install a soil stack for the en-suite and running the waste pipe around the house to a manhole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back