1st floor rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping for some advice and need to know if there's any validity to what my architect is tell me. I have lost some confidence in him but need to utilise him since he has the original plans for my house from my extension.

I live in a semi detailed property, on the 1st floor bedrooms on both semi's have a 3 sided (angled bay). Please see pic I would like to do a 2m rear extension on the 1st floor.

I have been advised to submit plans and to come in on the boundary at least 2.5m from the edge of the bay to have a chance of a successful planning application. Does anybody know the guideline around this ? or perhaps point me in the right direction.

I also heard there was something around blocking light from a 60 deg angle from any neighbouring windows.

Attachments

• rear_orginal.jpg
    rear_orginal.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
There is usually guidance relating to outlook, privacy and daylight which is what the 60 degree (and 45 degree) rules are. LPA’s have varying advice and guidance so you would need to check what’s specific to your LPA and situation.

Hi I found this but find the language a bit confusing.

so if I understand it correctly I would need to come in at least 4m from my neighbours bay window. Before I’m allowed a depth of 2m and at a distance of 3m I would be allowed a depth of 1.5 m.

Depth
The depth of any two storey rear extension is restricted to half the distance between the side wall and the middle of both your neighbours nearest habitable room window (this includes kitchens but excludes bathrooms, storage cupboards etc). If the habitable room has a bay window, the measurement must be taken from the main wall of the elevation, not any part of the bay window.

I would need to come in at least 4m from my neighbours bay window. Before I’m allowed a depth of 2m and at a distance of 3m I would be allowed a depth of 1.5 m.

That appears to be correct. Quite strict guidance tbh.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the confirmation so for bays it’s just the start of the bay and not any part of the bay ?

The centre point of that bay for measurement, appears to be more than 2m from the boundary. If so, a 2m extension on the boundary will be within any 45° line and so acceptable in that context.

Just draw a plan, put the window openings on accurately, and draw the 45° line.

Apart from the 45 degree line is not mentioned in the OP’s guidance. The guidance appears to indicate something more along the lines of a 22.5 degree angle, i.e. half the distance.

Apart from the 45 degree line is not mentioned in the OP’s guidance. The guidance appears to indicate something more along the lines of a 22.5 degree angle, i.e. half the distance.
Where is that mentioned by the OP?

Perhaps you or the OP should clarify what the policies are?

@woody I think @DevilDamo
Is referring the what the angle would be based on the guidance quoted here

with regards to depth

Attachments

• 949ACF52-243D-41C9-93FB-4697FDA4937D.png
    949ACF52-243D-41C9-93FB-4697FDA4937D.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 131
Correct. Being for example 4m away and only allowed a 2m deep extension would in effect translate to an angle of 22.5 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back