1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Laminate Floor Install...Quick Question

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by nelbert, 4 Aug 2017.

1. nelbert

nelbert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I am about to lay my 1st laminate floor and just want to pick the brains of experienced floor layers. basically...from the picture below...where would I be best starting my 1st row? Boards will be laid in the direction of the window (far end away from the door in the bay). Cheers in advance for any ideas. Room.png

2. Sponsored Links
  3. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd start at the door, making sure you've got a suitable width board at the door and also where the hearth starts for it to look right (no thin slivers).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. chris1982

chris1982

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with the above. If you were to start on the opposite side, your first full run of boards would be along the fireplace, and you would need to play around with a second start in the alcove such that they meet up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nelbert

nelbert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers both.

6. dazlight

dazlight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd start at the main fireplace get it square in that area then check you have decent cuts on opposite walls and the doorway.

7. nelbert

nelbert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah...i was thinking I might just have to dummy run with boards from chimney breast to opposite wall, juggle it so it's even both sides and then see if it leaves me a decent width for the 1st board on the threshold. We all know somewhere there is going to be a pain in the arris piece to cut

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links