Sideboard on Laminate Flooring...Weight Ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After reading advice on here I decided not to go with a budget engineered floor or solid and bought a decent quality laminate instead. The laminate hasn't been laid yet and I intend to build a sideboard measuring 3.6m in length (3 sections of 1200mm) I'm just wondering whether I can lay the floor 1st and then build the sideboards on top. Will the weight have any effects on the laminate flooring? Also can anyone offer advice on a construction method for the sideboard?

Thankyou in advance for all replies received,

JakCal

Sponsored Links
Anyone able to offer advice on this please....

Just trying to find out whether the weight would have any adverse effects on the laminate.

Cheers

I have a very heavy old oak sideboard, laden with about its own weight in photos, magazines and china, sitting on a laminate floor laid over a 3mm foam noise barrier and then chipboard (yuk!) and it hasn't damaged it at all. It must weigh about 250kg in total.

Just be sure to put felt pads on the parts in contact with the floor, to allow you to slide it around should you ever need to move it. I slide mine out to sweep underneath it.

Sponsored Links
As long as your sub-floor is flat and level, a heavy sideboard shouldn't cause any problems.
You can buy felt pads to put underneath the sideboard to stop it scratching the floor if you have to move it, they also make moving it a lot easier.

As for making the sideboard, do you mean something like a welsh dresser? or a proper old fashined sideboard like my mam used to have.

Instead of making one, have you tried your local auction house ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back