1st time at rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

im about to render my garage wall and im wondering the best way to go about it.

i have in the past worked with a plasterer however this was short term work. when doing patches we used poly bond, so the first thing im going to ask is

will a wall that is going to be rendered for the first time need some sort of poly bond to stop the wall absorbing the moister outa the sand cement mix to quickly, if so what is it called and what amount should be added to the mix.

what type of sand cement mix should be used for the base coat ie 2/1 -3/1 etc

weather proofing is important what can be used to do this, someone said use something that might be called sbr, is this mixed into the cement mix to waterproof once it has dried. weather proofin needed as the single skin garage wall leaks in water through pointing and brick absorbancy.

scratch coat, i presume the scratch coat is a thin layer of sand cement mix, once on the wal..l would a saw tooth edge of a trowel do or is scratch coat needed to be deeper than what the jagged trowel can do(diy plastic doo doo never used never wanted)

top coat, i think smooth coat may look a bit to bold so how can i acheive that stippled bumpy type finnishing coat( i dont want to buy expensive tooling for it not to be used again as im not plastering or rendering anything else its a one of on my own garage wall)

terraline?? i think it is called
im considering maybe terraline finnish but as im not a regular at the builders yard and the depots being as they are up here in gtr manchester tehy nail yer boots on. can terraline be bought for less that £25.00 for a bag that cover 1mtr2

last of all the wall has some moss, and im lazy will render mix stick if there moss on the wall or do i need to treat it first, i have algon which kills moss but i can be botheres scrubbin it afterwards will live and dead remnents need to be removed first.
cheers
terry

Sponsored Links
Is the wall internal or external?

Re using a sealer, it depends on how damp your wall is, from the sounds of things your wall is pretty much somewhat wet already. Knock up a bit of render and put a splodge on the wall to see how quickly it dries. If the render dries and goes crazy with cracks the wall is too dry and will require sealing.

This below at ebay is the same as the one i used to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasterer...492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc400c0f4

For waterproofing you add a water proofing liquid to the water you using to mix the render. just follow the instructions on the bottle. Try your local Wicks, or builders merchant.

A Scratch coat is the first first coat of a two coat render, you should check the wall with a straight edge first, in case the wall is so far out it needs dubbing out. Dubbing out means to fill deep hollows in really bad walls, which you would let set before putting on your scratch coat. If you try to put render on in too thick a coat, it will slide down the wall and drop off.

You cant really texture render, or at least i have never tried it. If you want to stipple the wall then you would wait wile the render sets and then use artex or even Thistle board finish, bearing in mind that most artex powder has asbestos in it. Or are you meaning giving it an olde worlde type finish leaving trowel marks in the coat?

I have never heard of terraline I'm afraid.

Absolutely all moss should be taken off the wall and in fact anything sticking to the wall at all, be it salt, dust, lime wash etc.

I cant help with the mix though, i just cant remember what it is, i have been left the plastering game some years now. Maybe some one else will advise you in that regard.

Post back if you require any more advice, Good luck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You cant really texture render, or at least i have never tried it.
wait till the render firms up and use a stiff brush, a stiff dustpan brush is a good tool you can texture render in lots of ways with different tools but to get the stipple effect use a stiff brush

If you want a stipple finish, you wont get it in render, if you just want it rough, then a brush will achieve that, but a stipple i honestly don't believe that you can get with sand and cement render.

When you said stipple. i took it to mean like an artex stipple, where you just push your rubber float in and then pull out straight back off leaving little points sticking out, is that not what you meant? - I would be very interested in seeing the kind of finish you do go for, if you get time to post a pic, id be interested to see it. Your never to old to learn new skills, even if your an old coffin dodger like me. :)

Sponsored Links
stipple i honestly don't believe that you can get with sand and cement render.

stipple finish with a brush,
how do you know when youve said you have never tried it ?, i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it

You can 'nap' it if you use a sponge float. You bring the 'fat 'out of a lime /sand/opc render
by gently tapping it on the render at the right time. It's a common finish in Ireland and parts of Scotland.

It is a kind of stipple but not generally as pointy as an artex may be.

how do you know when youve said you have never tried it ?, i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it

I just tried to help some one, which i think is far better than being a motor mouth who just looks for every chance to be nasty.

Assuming external render onto facing brick, dampen wall down and mix a 4-1-1 plastering sand, opc, lime with added waterproofer.
Scratch just deep enough but not all the way through to the brick.

2nd coat 5-1-1.
The effect i think you are looking for is called tyrolean.

There are many ways of creating a stipple effect a bit of experimenting and trial and error.

Good luck.

I just tried to help some one, which i think is far better than being a motor mouth who just looks for every chance to be nasty.
no need for insults you told the op you cant get a stipple finish with render yet you have never tried it so your giving out false info, my question to you wasn't being nasty it was a valid question, a stipple effect on render is easy to acheive yet your blatently telling someone it is not possible and yet you have never even tried it, if your trying to help someone then stick to facts rather than assumptions.

stevethespreader said.

its easy my 6 year old could do it

That wasn't a question Steve, that was a statement and an insulting statement at that in my opinion. Either way, can we put this behind us and move on to helping people as best we can?

stevethespreader said.

its easy my 6 year old could do it

That wasn't a question Steve, that was a statement and an insulting statement at that in my opinion. Either way, can we put this behind us and move on to helping people as best we can?
yes that was a stamement but that was just my way of saying how easy it is, the other bit was the question "how would you know if you have never tried?" but anyway yes lets just forget it and move on

you can't get the stipple affect on render :rolleyes:
im not to sure about you bud no one is, here is a pic of someone doing it exactly as i was taught with the same brush as well
"EDIT" just to add i have done this on a 15m2 wall and it looked ok

:rolleyes:

not cement mate, it's weber rend, different conststancy, polymer tends to do that :LOL: :LOL:

"i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it"

what a laugh :LOL:

:rolleyes:

not cement mate, it's weber rend, different conststancy, polymer tends to do that :LOL: :LOL:

"i was taught how to do vermiculation ashlar and how to achieve a constant stipple finish with a brush, its easy my 6 year old could do it"

what a laugh :LOL:
its same technique num nuts using the exact same brush , if you cant or dont know how to stipple render theres not much more to be said, but there again a maintenance man wouldent be expected to know that would he?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back