1st time wallpapering

ilm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

got a room to paper and was planning on putting it on existing wallpaper. Have taken dado down, need to fill in areas where plaster has been pulled off, no problem.

Cant get the border off the existing wallpaper, do I just sand the edges of the border down so it is smooth, if so, will the border show through new paper? Its not thick bordering.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You stand a very good chance of lifting the existing paper. Along with trying to repair dado rail damage and papering over a border you're more than likely to end up with a complete mess.

If you're intent on papering over the existing, try a test patch in a secluded corner, give it a good spray with water and see if the paper lifts. If it doesn't, you could possibly get away with a heavily textured paper.

In short - bite the bullet, strip the existing paper, prepare and work from a solid base.

Take the existing paper off, and smooth the walls, do it properly.
If it shows through it will look a mess.

I agree with all of the above...it will look bad, it will be hard work, and you might end up wasting all the money you have spent on paper.

Sponsored Links
I was given a great tip for stripping wallpaper. Mix up some wallpaper paste and paint that onto the old wall paper, go and have a cuppa and a bacon buttie, go back in the room and the paper will come off easy peasy.
The wallpaper paste holds the water in place so it soaks into the paper, rather running down the wall.

Obviously if its vinyl wallpaper you have to tear off the vinyl first.

No disrespct to you but thats an old wives tale...and a messy one at that..

The easiest way it to use a drop of washing up liquid in very hot water...the hot water penetrates the paper quicker and the washing up liquid stops the water from evaporating.

Another good tip is, instead of washing up liquid, try some fabric conditioner in hot water, this works very well, plus it leaves a nice smell. :D

Another good tip is, instead of washing up liquid, try some fabric conditioner in hot water, this works very well, plus it leaves a nice smell. :D

Have you been reading take a break again spicy poos? lol ;)

In the interests of 'research im going to have to give it a try though..

Hot water, washing up liquid and a paint roller on a pole do it for me. (PS I don't mean a Polish person). Roller it, leave it 10 mins. roller it, leave it. When ready will almost fall off the wall.

Have you been reading take a break again spicy poos? lol ;)

In the interests of 'research im going to have to give it a try though..

Lol Zamps, I havent time in my hetic lifestyle to read magazines. ;)

Someone told me this a few years ago, I laughed at the time, (like you do) so I thought I would give it a go, and I must say I was very impressed how easy the paper came off.
Cause its a fabric softener, (I daresay a lot of men wouldnt know this) :rolleyes: ;) but it tends to soften the paper a lot better than the washing up liquid.

Let me know how you get on. :LOL:

Like i said to someone once before, doesnt matter how long youv'e been in the game, your always learning!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back