1W standby what has gone wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the manufactures of TV's Videos etc. Had agreed on a 1W standby and my Panasonic TV does follow the rule.

One does expect old gear not to follow the 1W guide line but I have just had Sky+ installed. Now with an LNB taking around 7W and Sky+ using two inputs to LNB putting the box into standby seemed very likely to save at least 14W and with stopping Hard Drive likely more.

However when I measured I was surprised to find although Max 35W normal running was just 16W lower than expected but on standby it was still 14W hardly worth switching to standby. And with the box being used to auto record switching off completely would not work.

Is my box faulty or is there really no point switching Sky boxes into standby?

Sponsored Links
Still worth sticking it on standby as it powers down the HDD (so cuts down noise and heat), but essentially all standby does on a sky+/HD box is power down the HDD and turn off the video output (optical audio output stays on to avoid "pop" if you turn your box on after your amp).

Everything else is still running so your recordings happen and the box gets updates.

I would agree about HD I must test the other Satellite boxes I seem to remember the FTA box switched off the supply to LNB I will re-test and see what the results are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back