2.5mm cable for extra sockets

Sorry for being ignorant bhm1712, but how would I find this out?

Can you confirm whether the original sockets were from the ring final circuit ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for being ignorant bhm1712, but how would I find this out?
Whilst it’s not 100% guaranteed to confirm it for a plethora of potential reasons, usually one can say with some level of confidence that if a socket has 2 sets of cables coming into the back box, both connected to the terminals of the socket itself (both browns/ reds to live, both blues / blacks to neutral) then it points to a ring final circuit.

Whilst it’s not 100% guaranteed to confirm it for a plethora of potential reasons, usually one can say with some level of confidence that if a socket has 2 sets of cables coming into the back box, both connected to the terminals of the socket itself (both browns/ reds to live, both blues / blacks to neutral) then it points to a ring final circuit.
Well - or a radial - or what we are trying to rule out, a spur from a spur.

Probably almost reliable - is the socket on a route from and to nearby sockets in a formation that implies one cable route around the room?

It really needs an electrical test to be certain.

Sponsored Links
Then yes, they have 2 cables coming into them at the rear.
Thanks

I've been out to correct for a rental EICR where 2 double sockets are on a single spur from a ring. One socket (first on the spur) was all but unuseable behind a kitchen cupboard, to be honest I'm surprised the inspector actually found it as the tenant didn't know it was there. The EICR came with a quote to correct the situation to run a new spur for the usable socket from a different point on the ring, 2 prices; for chasing cable in tiled wall or surface trunking.
My solution was to simply replace the unusable socket with a blanking plate and join the cables together.

It is an indictment that some qualified tradesmen are so disingenuous that every tradesman gets tarred with the same brush. You do not have to read many postings on this forum to see "the good, the bad and the ugly".

It is an indictment that some qualified tradesmen are so disingenuous that every tradesman gets tarred with the same brush. You do not have to read many postings on this forum to see "the good, the bad and the ugly".
How do you know I'm ugly?

It seems unlikely there is any problem with what you have done.

However without inspecting and testing hard to be sure. I will admit I am no saint, I have in my early years jumped in and assumed without testing.

And also found other peoples work where errors have been made, which is why I now test and inspect first, even if just a simple multi-meter to show donor socket is part of a ring.

Yes should test loop impedance to ensure within volt drop and the magnetic part of the overload will work, and also test the RCD is working.

I would say down load the free forms from IET and use them as a check list.

Needed an electrician as the brand new extension didn’t have a cooker cable so needed to run a 10mm armoured cable outside around the house into the consumer unit with 45A fuse.
No you didn't. 6mm cable is adequate for a 45a circuit. 10mm cable often supplies a whole house. Cookers are normally on a 32 amp circuit and can use 4mm cable.

.... But after doing the kitchen I don't want it to catch fire. As I said, dishwasher twice a week off 1 socket, fridge freezer and kettle off another last 1 is microwave and original sockets are obsolete due to their location. It's not as if I'm using the original sockets AND the new ones.
As has been said, that's fine (and safe) and, in fact, still fine even if ('contrary to regulations') one or more of the original sockets (now inaccessible and not used) were spurs from a ring.
Am I being fleeced?
Possibly, but not necessarily. At least as probable an explanation is ..
Nope - they are less knowledgeable.

Kind Regards, John

Not sure either why the spark decided you needed 10mm2 cable on a 45A breaker.

I think he is very poorly trained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back