Wall socket from connector unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want another wall socket in my kitchen is it ok to use the electric cooker connector unit and run a 2.5mm cable from it as I have a gas cooker so the connector unit is not being used

Sponsored Links
If you use this UNUSED cooker termination point then it would be best to replace this with a fused spur connection unit with a 13amp fuse otherwise the 2.5 cable probably won't be properly protected as the main breaker in the fuse board is likely to be too large.

Often kitchen fitters utilise the disused cooker cable providing a small kitchen radial or ring circuit.

Is it acceptable practice to run a ring from an old cooker radial? I thought the ring would have to go back to the CU

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could treat the redundant cooker radial as a submain, but (1) it is unusual and (2) it is in a kitchen, so not a DIY job.

Much easier to fuse it down to 20A at the CU and run some sockets off a 2.5mm radial.

Looking back to the OP question, and if the kitchen sockets are on a ring, why not just take a spur off one of the existing sockets? Then you will still have the cooker supply available for when you (or the next occupant) get a wife who likes electric hobs :rolleyes:

all the wall sockets have tiles around them, I have a old type fuse box (fuse wire) can I just change the fuse wire from 30 amp to 15amp would that be ok

you can buy a 20A MCB that will fit in (I have a feeling that you have an old Wylex Standard CU that's dark brown, or cream). Rewirable fuses are prone to abuse. If you put your email address visible in your profile someone may offer you some MCBs to fit.

Can you post a pic of the CU? Some of them are very old and overdue for replacement.

nope, not a Wylex. You probably can't get MCBs to fit.

If you are changing to a lower rated fuse, you ought really to fit a smaller (blue-dot) fuseholder in, but I doubt you will find one.

If that's a tail I can see underneath, it looks worryingly old and might be perished rubber. can you stand back and take a wider pic, pref. showing the meter and service head as well?

Chivers7 said:
Things that kitchen fitters do are often unacceptable :LOL: ... but this one takes the biscuit http://groups.msn.com/SparkyHeaven/kitchenfitterfromhell.msnw

Is that the best you've got? :LOL:

Meter and cutout in a corner cupboard:

IMGP0636.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back