2 bedroom home needs to have 2 parking spaces?

Valuers know jack about anything but valuing - and often not even that.

Despite what the valuer thinks or states (which is after all, only for the purpose of and benefit of the mortage company lending the money and nothing else), the problem you will have is when you come to sell and you get a more clued up surveyor working for the buyer, or a rare clued up valuer working for the buyers lender, and you will find that you can't sell it as a two-bed and will only get whatever a one-bed property is getting. That is the risk you take

Sponsored Links
Valuers know jack about anything but valuing - and often not even that.

Despite what the valuer thinks or states (which is after all, only for the purpose of and benefit of the mortage company lending the money and nothing else), the problem you will have is when you come to sell and you get a more clued up surveyor working for the buyer, or a rare clued up valuer working for the buyers lender, and you will find that you can't sell it as a two-bed and will only get whatever a one-bed property is getting. That is the risk you take

Surely I'll find out if this is the case when I see the deeds?

Some new housing is deliberately built with no parking provision in order to limit the use of cars.
Does that mean that legally they have no bedrooms?

Sponsored Links
Some new housing is deliberately built with no parking provision in order to limit the use of cars.
Does that mean that legally they have no bedrooms?

exactly. it has 2 bedrooms, the valuer says it has 2 bedroom, the estate agent says it has 2 bedrooms but could only be sold as a 1 bedroom as it has 1 parking space......houses with 2 bedrooms down the road only have 1 parking space but are sold as 2 bed houses.

The size of the room is big enough as a single bedroom, it's upstairs, has a window.......just whether that window meets fire safety regs, and if it isn't it can easily be made to meet those regs. It's a good enough size, I guess if it doesn't open too far then it might not meet the regs.....I'll just make it open wide enough.

But my feeling is this window will meet the regs as it is.

It's just that the developer was only allowed to build 1 bed homes.

You've had all the answers on page 1, and you can't alter the fact that if the bedroom is unauthorised, then that's it. There are planning, building regulation and insurance issues and all that it's at your risk. Take it or leave it.

Seems you want to hear that it's fine to call, use and sell on as a 2 bedroom house, so I'll help you:

It's a 2 bedroom, go for it

I am not bound by this lie in any way

You've had all the answers on page 1, and you can't alter the fact that if the bedroom is unauthorised, then that's it. There are planning, building regulation and insurance issues and all that it's at your risk. Take it or leave it.

lol I don't know why this Woody guy keeps posting in here insisting that it's not a bedroom. No matter what anyone says - it's not a bedroom according to Woody.

It's big enough to be a bedroom.
It has a window.
It's upstairs.
It's been valued as a 2 bed home.

What is it then -

a cupboard the size of a single bedroom, that has a window?
a room to put a chinchilla in?

You go to any house in the UK and see that sized room with that window and nobody calls it anything but a bedroom.

You can't tell me that some joe blogs has written somewhere that it is a 2 bedroom house but can never be called a 2 bedroom house and can only be called a 1 bedroom house even though it has 2 bedrooms......that's just madness.

Seems you want to hear that it's fine to call, use and sell on as a 2 bedroom house, so I'll help you:

It's a 2 bedroom, go for it

I am not bound by this lie in any way

Thanks.

I will seal off the door between both bedrooms and complete it as a private single bedroom with a single bed.

lol I don't know why this Woody guy keeps posting in here insisting that it's not a bedroom. No matter what anyone says - it's not a bedroom according to Woody.

It's big enough to be a bedroom.
It has a window.
It's upstairs.
It's been valued as a 2 bed home.

What is it then -

a cupboard the size of a single bedroom, that has a window?
a room to put a chinchilla in?

You go to any house in the UK and see that sized room with that window and nobody calls it anything but a bedroom.

You can't tell me that some joe blogs has written somewhere that it is a 2 bedroom house but can never be called a 2 bedroom house and can only be called a 1 bedroom house even though it has 2 bedrooms......that's just madness.
Just buy the fuucking thing then. FFS.

surely the second bedroom is an unlawful conversion and that brings all the statutory and insurance implications in to play?
...of which there are none.
On that note, hopefully no-one will find out that we have unlawfully converted our lounge into a bedroom by putting a bed in there and moving the sofas out to the kitchen diner.

...of which there are none.
On that note, hopefully no-one will find out that we have unlawfully converted our lounge into a bedroom by putting a bed in there and moving the sofas out to the kitchen diner.
As long as you don't tell anyone on a public forum, then you'll be fine.

Do try not to have any house fires though in the meantime.

-Is it classed as a 1 bed solely due to it only having 1 official car parking space - Yes, apparently so, that is what you were told :-
I asked why it wasn't officially a 2 bed home and was told that it's because the house has only got 1 designated parking space.

-Is the door between these 2 rooms there as the builder wants to give the owner the option to use it as a walk in dressing room. - Yes, it is annotated as a dressing room on the plan.

-Is the door there because of fire safety. No, providing the staircase is on a protected route to outside .
And also, can the door be sealed up or are there regulations preventing me from doing so if it is a fire safety risk?
if it isn't there because of fire safety, blocking it up can't be a fire safety risk :!:

Maybe if you sleep in it for 4 years with the curtains open it will become immune from planning enforcement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back