2 boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EICR company is claiming I had 3 boards tested. Surely this is 2? Nit sure what the black things are connected to the meter btw?
Thanks.

IMG-20230109-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
EICR company is claiming I had 3 boards tested. Surely this is 2? Nit sure what the black things are connected to the meter btw?
Thanks.

View attachment 291719
I see 3 sets of tails so I imagine the big brown wylex stuff with numbers 1-6 twice is 2 fuseboxes with MCBs fitted

EDIT isn't this the join between them?
1673264653105.png

Last edited:
The MCB's are definitely 2 boards, I didnt realize the black things next to the meter counted... what are they and why do I have 3 boards in a 3 bedroom house? Only got 2 in the last house which is much bigger!

Sponsored Links
The MCB's are definitely 2 boards, I didnt realize the black things next to the meter counted... what are they and why do I have 3 boards in a 3 bedroom house? Only got 2 in the last house which is much bigger!

The Wylex Standard CUs are very old, though they have had late model MCBs fitted.

It looks like they have labels, which should tell you what they do. Storage heaters, perhaps? Post photos.

Their age suggests the associated circuits will also be very old. Might be about 50 years.

The black things next to the meter are not CUs.

What do you mean when you use the word "boards?"

The MCB's are definitely 2 boards,
Are those two rows of visible MCBs in one board or two? A 'full frontal' photo of those mcbs might help
I didnt realize the black things next to the meter counted... what are they
They don't (count). The black thing to the left of the meter is the incoming supply head (with supplier';s fuse), and the two black things below the meter are connector blocks where the output of the meter splits into three (one for each of 3 boards?).
... and why do I have 3 boards in a 3 bedroom house? Only got 2 in the last house which is much bigger!
Progressive additions/modifications over time. Starting from scratch, it would need only one board.

Kind Regards, John

There could be lots of reasons - additions and extensions to the building, kitchen revamped, electric shower, things like a stair-lift installed, or a linked fire alarm system, power out to a garage - someone has come along and added some extra circuits, and found what is in place at the moment is simply not adequate, so they have decided the easiest solution is to add extra consumer units and MCB's.

The two Wylex boards are numbers 1 and 2, the "Volex" labelled box, nearest the camera, at the top, will be the third one. Open the front flap and there will be MCBs/RCDs etc revealed. Three it is, at least as far as I can see. Sorry!

HTH

The two Wylex boards are numbers 1 and 2,
As I've asked, is that one board or two?
the "Volex" labelled box, nearest the camera, at the top, will be the third one. Open the front flap and there will be MCBs/RCDs etc revealed. Three it is, at least as far as I can see. Sorry!
I agree - provided there are two Wylex boards.

Kind Regards, John

As I see it:
I see 3 lables fitted by an electrician, one on the white box and one each on the browns.
I see a yellow caution lable on each brown.
I see a main switch on each brown.
I see numbers 1 to 6 against the fuseways on both browns.
There is evidence of a crack between the 2 browns.
I see 6 live tails, 2 going to the white box, four going towards the browns.

As I see it:
I see 3 lables fitted by an electrician, one on the white box and one each on the browns.
I see a yellow caution lable on each brown.
I see a main switch on each brown.
I see numbers 1 to 6 against the fuseways on both browns.
There is evidence of a crack between the 2 browns.
I see 6 live tails, 2 going to the white box, four going towards the browns.
As I implied, I see the same. As for why the OP raised the question, I suspect that Colin may be right in implying that the OP might not have realised that the Volex box is a 'DB'.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the delay especially when you're all so fast!

As I see it :
View attachment 291798
But I don't know how they have been numbered on your EICR
Yes I didn't realize the volex was a third one and yes 1 and 2 are seperate, this is the correct layout
The Wylex Standard CUs are very old, though they have had late model MCBs fitted.

It looks like they have labels, which should tell you what they do. Storage heaters, perhaps? Post photos.

Their age suggests the associated circuits will also be very old. Might be about 50 years.

The black things next to the meter are not CUs.

What do you mean when you use the word "boards?"
I don't know, if I see MCB's on seperate lumps of material I think it's a new board.

Is it really more work if the fuses are spread out on more baords? The company charged me £360 compared to £160 due to having 2 extra boards. Is it expensive or worthwhile to rearrange eveything onto 1 board?

Guys the gits are charging me 1k for remedial work, should I post the results in a new thread? I dont think the last EICR was done that many years ago which it obviously passed, maybe the ****** think becasue ive already paid so much that i'm more likely to let them rip me off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back