Old Meter and Fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old electricity meter with 3 huge fuses on a board next to it that takes up more space than the meter itself. 2 wires exit from the meter to black boxes the size of fag packets before a wire exits from each to the consumer unit.
I have a guy coming from the elec company to replace the meter on Friday (took 4 phone calls!) but I'm concerned about the age of the fuses and wiring.

My questions are:

1 - Should the fuse board with the 3 big fuses be replaced with a modern more compact fuse?
2 - Should the 2 fag packet size boxes be done away with?
3 - Should an isolation switch be placed between the board and the consumer unit?
4 - If the answer is yes to all, or any, of the above, will the guy replacing the meter automatically assess the present wiring configuration and upgrade as required.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1 - Should the fuse board with the 3 big fuses be replaced with a modern more compact fuse?

It sounds like you have a 3 phase head.
The modern ones are no smaller than those fitted 30 odd years ago.

2 - Should the 2 fag packet size boxes be done away with?

These sound like henley blocks.

They may well be your property.

3 - Should an isolation switch be placed between the board and the consumer unit?

Possibly. It depends on your exact setup, and the preference of your electrician.

4 - If the answer is yes to all, or any, of the above, will the guy replacing the meter automatically assess the present wiring configuration and upgrade as required.

No.

He will swap your meter.

If their part of your installation is dangerous, he will inform the mains team and get them to take a look.

Thanks for the reply RF Lighting.

The blocks are Henleys, I looked up what they are and can see that they feed the second consumer unit for the small extension.

I take it that I'm stuck with the 3-phase head?
I would like it to take up less space as its stretched over 2 feet across the kitchen wall (4ft including consumer units). At least I shouldn't require the Henley blocks as a new consumer unit is going to be fitting that will replace the 2 there already, which should shrink it to 2.5 feet :(

Can you take a photo and upload it, and provide us a link to it? When you post a reply there is a link to upload new images. Follow that.

There is probably a reason for the 3ph head, perhaps your on the end of the line and its simply a termination point for the run of cable.

From your description I'm not sure if you are using all 3 phases.

Sponsored Links
OK thats a 3phase head. But only single phase meter. Do you live on the end of a row of houses? Or perhaps an old farmhouse? This would explain the 3ph head in domestic.

While the DNO are unlikely to remove the head, there is good news. You have a lot of wasted space on that board. The two round JBs could be moved over, the henleys could be moved over, Leaving space for the fuseboxes / CUs to move over.

More good news, all this can be done by an electrician since its all your kit. No need to get the DNO involved. I'm guessing the fuseboxes used to be mounted right next to the meter, since the two cables jointed in the JBs head for there, then divert to the "new" fusebox. I guess these form the ends of a ring final.

The black wires leaving the meter tell me they might be VIR, though I cant be sure. Dont go messing them them, they could disintegrate.

Cheers for the reply Steve.

I actually live in the middle of the street in a residential area! Maybe I could get a lathe fitted in my kitchen and do a spot of turning!

My brother is an electricain and is happy to fit a new consumer unit in the future, which will replace the two at present. The only issue is that he's based in Newcastle, and I'm based in Swansea, and if I remember correctly he said that he couldn't touch the meter seals as it wasn't his area, although I may be wrong. He's in bed with flue at mo, too ill to speak on the phone, hense I'm asking the question on this forum.

I would consider getting the meter moved outside, but I expect it would involve wads of cash and more than the 4 phone calls it took just to get the meter replaced!

Correct.

I enquired about getting my meter moved to the outside of my porch.

The price was about £600 plus VAT this was about 3 month back.

Look at yours again.

Imagine it without the two redundant fuses (middle and RHS).

That's about how big the replacement would be....

Many old houses had a three phase supply installed - it was common up until around the Sixties, for what reason I don't know - we used far less electricity back then, it seems irrational that three phase supplies were the norm in older properties, when the need was not there! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bloke came to change the meter, which was a lot smaller than the old one. He was happy to put an isolation switch in when I asked. The new meter and isolation switch take up same space as old meter now, but at least power can be cut easily to allow a new consumer unit to be fitted.
He said I could have the 3 phase head change, but that it would cost me!

Hi,

Why did you get your meter changed?

I have the same model and the supplier told me they don't have to change it.

Mine was last looked at (possibly fitted) in 1992. British Gas told me it had to be changed every 10 years, but Scottish Power who did it said every 25 years. The guy who came said that it was every 15 years!

One of my arguments was that I wasn't too happy with the wiring and meter as it all looked very old. To be honest I think they'll try and fob you off as it costs them money to change it, so just pester them. The guy that did mine said that they'll be replacing all meters in 5 years with a new state of the art meter that will tell you how much your using in in pounds and pennies, and that they can take reading from by just driving down your road.

and that they can take reading from by just driving down your road.
Never mind that, they'll have GSM transmitters, so they can take a reading by sitting in an office in coventry.

And its bullshit about all meters being replaced in 5 years, you any idea of the logistics involved? My company (national company, had 600 sites at the time) had all its meters changed for these GSM meters, took over a year to do 600 - clearly different DNOs etc. And they dont work. Our meter has never transmitted a reading, its had 2 new aerials.

They are trialling the technology in one area of the UK. 5 years is rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back