The second electrician says the first one shouldn't have issued a satisfactory EICR.

Both BG and Contactum are very readily available - so why a mixture was fired is a sign of laziness
It would presumably actually be 'easier' ('less lazy') to buy all of the same make?

However, you seem to be assuming that they were all 'new', which presumably is not necessarily the case?

Sponsored Links
You need to ask the person saying it’s not compliant to clarify there position in writing

Then post their answers on here
He came back saying:
Visual inspection showed the board was labeled incorrectly and there were over sized and under sized breakers for the circuits wired.

What's wrong with a mix of BG and Contactum though? Surely both of them do the same thing.
The DIN rail is a German standard, but where the operation lever comes through the lid, and the height and method of clamping onto the bus bar is not standard.

There have been consumer unit fires, in the main caused by a poor connection to the bus bar, the MCB's where the terminal was not forced open by the terminal screw allowing the bus bar tag to go wrong side of terminal clamp, and the different heights or bus bar increases the chance of an error being made.

Also the consumer unit type testing means only items recommended by the manufacturer can be fitted, otherwise is ceases to be a consumer unit, it is just a distribution unit.

So that's what wrong with mixing makes, however for an EICR we would need to code C3, and recommend correct MCB's fitted, but if they do fit OK then could not be a code C2 potentially dangerous, however since the bus bar is held firm by the other MCB's and the MCB is held firm by the DIN rail it is nearly impossible to tell if the fit OK.

And I know I was called to a new house with a complaint the phones were acting up in the house, but were OK with old house, so sent to reassure the new owner there was no problem, however I was getting odd readings with the loop impedance tester, so opened the CU, and found the bus bar to MCB screws loose.

I reported what I had found and the electrician who fitted it was questioned, and it seems the CU had come populated, so he had never checked those screws, seems the supplier had just slotted the MCB's in so easy to carry, and the manufacturer did say all screws should be checked, however it shows how easy it is to make an error when the DIN rail is holding the MCB firm.

But the second electrician was not it seems doing an EICR, so commenting on another electricians work it seems likely he was looking for more work for himself.

The DIN rail is a German standard, but where the operation lever comes through the lid, and the height and method of clamping onto the bus bar is not standard.
Indeed, and it has always struck me as pretty ridiculous that such a situation has been allowed to arise. It would have been so easy for the product standards to require that all 'devices' (MCBs, RCBOs etc.) were mechanically/physically compatible

Imagine the situation that would have arisen if BS1362 and BS1363 had not defined (amongst other things) the dimensions and spacing of pins - different makes might then not have been compatible with one another!!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But the second electrician was not it seems doing an EICR, so commenting on another electricians work it seems likely he was looking for more work for himself.
Possibly but ...

He came back saying:
Visual inspection showed the board was labeled incorrectly and there were over sized and under sized breakers for the circuits wired.

The labelling *is* clearly *******s and these sound like the kind of issues that may be immediately obvious from the size of the conductors wired into the MCBs no?

Indeed, and it has always struck me as pretty ridiculous that such a situation has been allowed to arise. It would have been so easy for the product standards to require that all 'devices' (MCBs, RCBOs etc.) were mechanically/physically compatible
Maybe they are (if the same size) - having all been "type tested" whatever that means.

Perhaps that is why manufacturers make theirs a different size so that one has to buy them..

Maybe they are (if the same size) - having all been "type tested" whatever that means.
As we know, devices of different makes do not necessarily have exactly the same size/shape or terminal arrangement.
Perhaps that is why manufacturers make theirs a different size so that one has to buy them..
One can but suspect that such is the reason, but I still don't think that situation should have been allowed to arise (by the Standard). As I said/implied, BS1362 and BS1363 require that all plugs/sockets (and fuses) to those Standards are physically compatible, so why not similarly for the devices one finds in CUs?

Kind Regards, John

I think the answer is portability.

13A plugs and sockets are made to the same standard to guarantee compatibility with each other around the world.

This is not a factor in consumer unit design.

I think the answer is portability. 13A plugs and sockets are made to the same standard to guarantee compatibility with each other around the world.
It clearly would be ridiculous if all makes of 13A plugs, sockets and fuses were not compatible, but ...
This is not a factor in consumer unit design.
... I'm not really convinced that the lack of 'portability' (in the same sense as plugs) is a particularly good excuse for the Standards relating to devices in CUs not defining the dimensions etc. In many/most walks of life, different makes of products are usually 'compatible' with one another.

Kind Regards, John

Imagine the situation that would have arisen if BS1362 and BS1363 had not defined (amongst other things) the dimensions and spacing of pins - different makes might then not have been compatible with one another!!

There were originally competing standards, which were not compatible..

I'm not convinced!

That was in reply to John.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
... I'm not really convinced that the lack of 'portability' (in the same sense as plugs) is a particularly good excuse for the Standards relating to devices in CUs not defining the dimensions etc. In many/most walks of life, different makes of products are usually 'compatible' with one another.

Not really, look at drill batteries. Each manu has their own standard, and the even change the standard every few years.

Not really, ...
As I said, cross-manufacturer compatibility is very common in many (perhaps even most) walks of life.
look at drill batteries. Each manu has their own standard, and the even change the standard every few years.
That's certainly a total pain, but I'm not at all sure that there ever has been a formal relevant p[product Standard, has there?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back