2 Ceiling lights 1 Switch - had a right good go!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

Wonder if you can help, spent all weekend at this and have had a real good go and done research online so I did try, but have hit a brick wall and need to ask, hope that's ok.

Basically I have one double light switch (a dimmer which I fitted). Off that, I have two ceiling lights and three wall lights. All work fine, and last month I replaced the three wall lights myself, no problem.

This weekend, I wanted to replace the two ceiling lights, I took down what was there, and copied down a diagram, like for like. Which I have attached. One says dining room, one says TV but they are pretty close to each one, one room.

I've rewired them up, and nothing works at all. The three wall lights are totally unaffected and working fine, but my two ceiling lights are dead. I've copied the diagram like for like, BUT there is one difference, on the ones I took down, they had TWO earth wires coming out, like the diagram. The one's that I have tried to replace them with, only have ONE earth wire coming out. Is this the problem?

I understand one is linked off the other etc but basically I've done like for like, minus the missing earth, and nothing works.....please help!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Check your loop connections.

There may be a wire come loose or snapped off.

Check the neutral terminations for the same.

Also, check the dimmer for those lights to makew sure there's an output.

Thanks for replying.

So do you think this setup in theory looks correct?

As I say I have replaced like for like except the new lights only have one earth coming out. So I only have 4 (and 3 on the other) earth wires going into a terminal block.

(Odd that the old lights came with two earth's and these came with one).

Some fittings have an earth wire that goes to the casing plus another in the flex.

The earth wires won't have anything to do with the light fittings not coming on. You could have no earth wires, and they would still work, albeit it would be dangerous.

Do the two lights come on together, operated by one side of the dimmer?

Sponsored Links
I see..

Yeah they do, both lights come on at once, operated by one side of the dimmer, yep...

I find the wiring a bit confusing then. One side (TV) is wired as a standard 3 plate set-up.

The other side is wired as you'd expect the last fitting on a lighting circuit to be wired, and the feed is in harmonised cable.

This is not what I'd expect to find when both lights are fed via the same switch.

Have you checked for loose connections and to see if the dimmer has an output?

There aren't any other light fittings that switch on with these two ceiling lights, are there?

You're diagrams indicate that the lights are switched separately.

Of course, someone could have connected both switch cables to the one switch.

So, if neither works I would suspect the loop (3 reds) or neutrals (2 blacks) at the 'TV' rose.

Oi, just said that, ain't oi? ;)

Or maybe the dimmer.

What loads are on this dimmer?

There aren't any other light fittings that switch on with these two ceiling lights, are there?

No there's not, aside from the 3 wall lights that have been and still are working fine, controlled from the otherside of this two way dimmer.

Oi, just said that, ain't oi? ;)

Or maybe the dimmer.

What loads are on this dimmer?

Not sure what you mean what loads are on ther dimmer? (sorry).

But the dimmer was working fine before, on both the two old ceiling lights and the 3 wall lights. Still working fine on the 3 wall lights.

You're diagrams indicate that the lights are switched separately.

Of course, someone could have connected both switch cables to the one switch.

So, if neither works I would suspect the loop (3 reds) or neutrals (2 blacks) at the 'TV' rose.

Ok cheers. If it is those three red loops or the two blacks, any idea on what to change with them.....or should I admit defeat and get an electrician in?

cheers again

As has been said -

Make sure they are terminated correctly.

Conductors snap leaving the insulation holding the wire in place or
wires are pushed into the terminal too far so that screw only contacts with the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back