2 Ceiling lights 1 Switch - had a right good go!

As has been said -

Make sure they are terminated correctly.

Conductors snap leaving the insulation holding the wire in place or
wires are pushed into the terminal too far so that screw only contacts with the insulation.

OK so you think it's to do with connections. I was looking for someone to say yes or no if the wiring in theory was correct. If it was then yeah I can mess about with the connections. But didn't want to do that if the wiring set up is wrong........ cos it's a killer holding these bad boys up above your head while fiddling about with these little screws, as I'm sure you well know! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
What you have is a loop-in method, the diagrams look fine, as do the pictures.
Ideally you should sleeve the switch live (black core) in live terminal of fitting, to indicate this is a phase conductor.
As already mentioned several times, check the conductors are terminated correctly, meaning that they are making good contact within the terminal ports.
Also because you have changed fittings, there is a possibility that the load has also changed.
What was the overall rating of the two fittings that you have removed. (add up the values of watts in total, ie 3 number 60 watt lamps(bulbs) in each fitting, would equal 360 watt)
and what is you new overall watt output on new fittings?
Then check the dimmer switch for the rating value, will be on back of switch plate.

Thanks for replying.

The dimmer is from B&Q and 2 x 250w.

The new lights say max 40w (x 3) and they are those g9 bulbs, the little ones.

The wall lights are also max 40w each, so at most it is 3 x 40w, x 2 lights = 240w, plus 40w x 3 on the lights, 120, grand total 360w on a 2 x 250w dimmer so ok there.

So it MUST be connections if you say the wiring is ok. I'm going to relook at them, but can I ask a question, the previous installation had (mostly) all wires going into the same side of the connector on the terminal block. ie 4 earth's going into one hole (one side) on the connector... which makes this job 5 times harder trying to cram them all in.

Can I put say for example, 2 lives in either side of a 2 space connector block, rather than jamming them both in the same side, or do I have to keep doing that? Would be so much easier just putting one in each side.

cheers

You only have 3 x 40W lamps between the two ceiling lights?

Is the dimmer OK?

Check input into the common terminals of the dimmer and then check the output.

The dimmer for the ceiling side may have failed.

Sponsored Links
Can I put say for example, 2 lives in either side of a 2 space connector block, rather than jamming them both in the same side,
Yes, of course you can.

Having said that, if you only put two single conductors in a large connector it is possible for the screw to tighten leaving the conductors between the screw and the side.
So make sure you have good connections by bending the end of the conductor back on itself.

Unbelievable, it was the dimmer switch that had blown! From when I incorrectly wired the lights yesterday. Swapped it over and it's all working. Thanks very much for all your help, I'll make a donation to the forum charity. Cheaper than a sparky anyhow ha ha.

cheers again everyone.

The dimmer for the ceiling side may have failed.
hurray.gif

Also, check the dimmer for those lights to makew sure there's an output.

Hate to blow my own trumpet, but I posted this in my first reply.... ;)

What's important is that we got there in the end.

Thanks for letting us know what it was. Often, we go to great lengths to help and don't get to hear the outcome.

I'll make a donation to the forum charity.

In beer, please! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back