2 central heating controllers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any body know if it is possible to use 2 central heating controllers that talk to one another?
The set up is an oil boiler with 2 heating zones (downstairs & upstairs zones) and 1 water zone, currently being controlled by a Horstmann H37XL controller. The wife wants to be able to be able turn the heating on/off from either the bedroom (upstairs) or the utility room (downstairs).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I once installed a heatmiser remote control (same as for a tv).
But I dont think it works through walls :LOL:

The wife wants to be able to be able turn the heating on/off from either the bedroom (upstairs) or the utility room (downstairs).
Just to be clear; you want to be able to turn both the upstairs and downstairs heating on/off from both upstairs or downstairs.

Is it just time control you want or time and temperature control?

Yes, she wants to be able to turn the heating on/off from either upstairs or downstairs. She does not need/want to change the temperature stats.

Sponsored Links
Is there a mobility issue whereby your wife needs this?

I find that I sometimes have to tell my wife that she can't have everything she wants.

Usually doesn't work though!!

Yes, she wants to be able to turn the heating on/off from either upstairs or downstairs. She does not need/want to change the temperature stats.
So what you wife wants to do is override the on/off times of the existing Horstmann controller?

Just fit a second programmer at the second location.
And use the services of a qualified electrician obviously.
Simples.

Simples.
Is it simple? :rolleyes:

Say the heating has been turned ON by the main programmer and you want to turn the heating OFF. You will have to interrupt the connection from CH ON, i.e have a switch in series with the wire from CH ON.

But say the heating is OFF from the main programmer and you want to turn it ON. You now need a switch between the live terminal of the programmer and the CH ON terminal. Turning this switch ON will bypass the timer and turn the heating ON.

That means you need two switches upstairs and two downstairs. One to turn the heating on when it is off; the other turn the heating off when it is on.

Complicated, not simples.

Question to OP
Why do you need this facility? There may be other ways of solving the real problem.

Its complicated only IF you want to make it complicated.
Switching off is irellevant and neither programmer needs to overide the other to acheive off.
People turn the heating on at the programmer , not off.
The thermostat does the off switching.
A good spark would protect the outputs with relays just to be on the safe side.

What about a remote digi stat you can carry it about and turn it up or down wherever she is!

Simples.
Is it simple? :rolleyes:

Say the heating has been turned ON by the main programmer and you want to turn the heating OFF. You will have to interrupt the connection from CH ON, i.e have a switch in series with the wire from CH ON.

But say the heating is OFF from the main programmer and you want to turn it ON. You now need a switch between the live terminal of the programmer and the CH ON terminal. Turning this switch ON will bypass the timer and turn the heating ON.

That means you need two switches upstairs and two downstairs. One to turn the heating on when it is off; the other turn the heating off when it is on.

Complicated, not simples.

Question to OP
Why do you need this facility? There may be other ways of solving the real problem.

Not sure it you are married or not, but I am and have been happily married for many decades, I've learnt there are times it's just not worth arguing.

Its complicated only IF you want to make it complicated.
Switching off is irellevant and neither programmer needs to overide the other to acheive off.
People turn the heating on at the programmer , not off.
The thermostat does the off switching.
A good spark would protect the outputs with relays just to be on the safe side.

Sorry but I donot agree with you. Switching is important if you are the one who has to go downstairs to turn off the heating!

Switching is important if you are the one who has to go downstairs to turn off the heating

Most programmers have a boost function which run for an hour and switch off automatically. The set timings work similar. (ie - on/off automatically)
I don't know of anyone who interupts this boost function to turn heating off.
So if you are upstairs and you hit the boost , heating runs for an hour and turns off, so no running downstairs.

Personally I hit the boost (if its cold) just before bedtime whilst I am still downstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back