2 core 1.5mm on lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m looking to extend some outside lights (from 10m to around 12m). They are class 2 - 2 core 1.5mm.

I don’t have any 2 core 1.5mm at home, I can get some but just want to check something first.

I have plenty of 3 core 1.5mm. Can I just blank the earth off and heatsink over the ends and use that?
I also have some armoured 2 core 1.5mm that was given to me a while ago, can I use that?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have plenty of 3 core 1.5mm. Can I just blank the earth off and heatsink over the ends and use that?
Yes.

I also have some armoured 2 core 1.5mm that was given to me a while ago, can I use that?
Well, it's not really suitable but as there is no requirement for armoured I suppose it doesn't really matter if it is not installed properly (for armoured) - just no point.

Or on the other hand, you can use anything you want; it's just cable and wires.

Yes.

Well, it's not really suitable but as there is no requirement for armoured I suppose it doesn't really matter if it is not installed properly (for armoured) - just no point.

Or on the other hand, you can use anything you want; it's just cable and wires.
Thanks very much.

I think I’ll go for the 3 core and blank the earth off.

I only really asked about the armoured as I have some and in case the earth blanking was frowned upon on the 3 core.

Thanks again.

Although the light fittings may be class 2 , I was under the impression that the earth still need to be present in the cable (and connected to the supply side).

Are these garden lights or lights 12m up on the side of the house?

BTW, I am not an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Although the light fittings may be class 2 , I was under the impression that the earth still need to be present in the cable (and connected to the supply side).
Well, that's what the regulations say - in case it is needed in the future (a daft reason) - but if the existing cable has no earth, having one in the extended cable or not is hardly going to matter .

Are these garden lights or lights 12m up on the side of the house?

BTW, I am not an electrician.
It’s string lights mate, there’s certainly no earth present. Just a length of 10m 2 core with lamp holders attached every 75cm or so.

Well, that's what the regulations say - in case it is needed in the future (a daft reason) - but if the existing cable has no earth, having one in the extended cable or not is hardly going to matter .

Thanks, I thought the earth was required in case someone accidentally cut through the cable. Granted, if the previous cable has no earth, the earth in the new section is pointless.

Just a quickie mate.

I’ll be joining the lights to the extension with a IP66 rated junction box with a connection block inside.

Is it better to blank the earth off and heat wrap them or just connect the earth to the spare connector and wire it in to the plug as normal?

As you are extending from the plug to the lights I would connect the earth in the junction box to a bit of choc block and connect it at the plug. You might want to use the junction box in the future to power something that does require an earth.

Excellent. Thanks.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. It’s a 3 gang choc box inside the housing so I’ll just connect the earth to the spare terminal and connect to the plug as usual.

I just wanted to make sure it was ok to do so.
Wasn’t sure if the implications of having the earth wired in to the plug and terminated to nothing.

But if you say it’s fine then that’s good enough for me

BS7671 requires an earth to be taken to each point and each accessory.

The "point" is where the appliance connected to the "fixed wiring". My interpretation of that is it's fine to have a short loop of 2 core flex from an outlet box to the equipment it feeds, but if you start using flex for wiring that is fixed to the building then that flex should have an earth core.

The intent behind the regulation is presumably that equipment fails and replacement is not always "like for like". Desperation is the mother of dangerous bodges, so better not to leave people in the situation where they have a class 1 piece of replacement equipment, and a supply without an earth conductor.

It will be on the end of the extension that I’m adding. I’m chopping off the 3 pin plug on the lights and adding a 1m ish extension with a 3 pin plug on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back