3 core and earth instead of 2 core and earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to put in a new light in a bedroom and wondered if I could use 1.5mm 3 core and earth lighting cable instead of 2 core and earth? I have some spare and wondered if it would suffice? Thank.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you're putting it on a lighting circuit, yes.

Sleeve the live conductor brown, and the neutral blue.

Some people regard it as good practice to earth the unused conductor, sleeving that G/Y.

Sponsored Links
That's great, thanks. I'm also putting in a fan and isolator switch, so the 3 core is needed. But as I have quite a bit of it on a reel it is cheaper for me to use some on a new light than buying some 2 core cable.

…but didn't understand it.

Of course I understood it. He asked if he could use 3 core he had instead of 2 core. I pointed out it was wasteful, but didn't bother to add that perhaps he could use the 3 core for something else later.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I didn't bother to add that perhaps he could use the 3 core for something else later.
DIYers will only infrequently need to use 3C+E - so, given that he has "quite a bit of it on a reel", if he bought some 1mm² T+E now it could be a good few years (if ever) before he got that 'wasted' money back.

Kind Regards, John

I pointed out it was wasteful, but didn't bother to add that perhaps he could use the 3 core for something else later.

I didn't need to "bother" saying I needed to use the 3 core for anything else anyway, it's irrellevant. I had some spare, it was all you needed to know. Why would I go out and buy some other cable when I had some 3 core spare that can do the job???

I pointed out it was wasteful, but didn't bother to add that perhaps he could use the 3 core for something else later.

I didn't need to "bother" saying I needed to use the 3 core for anything else anyway, it's irrellevant. I had some spare, it was all you needed to know. Why would I go out and buy some other cable when I had some 3 core spare that can do the job???

Ignore them, you're the only one in this thread with any common sense

I pointed out it was wasteful, but didn't bother to add that perhaps he could use the 3 core for something else later. Why would I go out and buy some other cable when I had some 3 core spare that can do the job???

Because you just might need 3 core for another job in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back